Thread: Twin view and rotation for Nvidia Quadro 6000

Twin view and rotation for Nvidia Quadro 6000

I have a computer in my office which has a Nvidia Quadro 6000 in it. I use Red Hat Linux 4 in my PC. My CPU is connected to two monitors all together. I wanted to connect the two monitors I have and use it as a same monitor. I wanted to make use of the twin monitors with same display spread across the both displays. I tried using Xinerama for making it dual monitor system, but since it is a known issue that this technology has too many bugs, it didn’t work for my system well. My friend suggested me that I should try using the monitors in dual mode by rotating the display 90 degrees and then try making those dual monitors. But even these techniques didn’t help. Can anybody help me making dual display using Nvidia Quadro 6000?

Re: Twin view and rotation for Nvidia Quadro 6000

I agree that Xinerama technique doesn’t help making twin monitors possible. I too used Nvidia graphic cards in past, but after need arised to support multiple monitors; I quit using Nvidia graphic cards. I feel that ATI graphic cards provide a better control over multiple monitors connected to one single system. Some modern Nvidia graphic cards have SLI technology built in them. Using this technology, one can easily bridge multiple monitors connected to one system. Another use of this SLI technology is that you can have more than one graphic card in your system and connect them to act as one graphic card. SLI technology was new when Nvidia released the Quadro graphic cards. So maybe that’s why your graphic card doesn’t support the multiple monitor system well. ATI graphic cards have similar technology by name Crossfire. If you are so keen on using multiple monitors as one display system, then I suggest that you use ATI graphic card instead of Nvidia.

I think that you should contact the vendor once to know if it is possible in any way to have multiple monitors working as one in your system. If the graphic card came along with the PC, that is was manufactured as one piece, then there are less chances that your graphic card will be able to be used for supporting multiple monitors efficiently. Also in this case you will need to contact the manufacturer of your computer and not the manufacturer of the graphic card. If your PC was built using different parts, then you will have to contact the manufacturer of the graphic card.

First thing that I would like to tell you is that the Nvidia graphic cards don’t support rotation and twin support together. You can either use SLI to have multiple monitors acting as one big display or you can have the monitor display rotated to display the content vertically. But if you are thinking that you will rotate the monitor vertically and then have another vertically rotated monitor connected to it to act as one big display then you are wrong. It is not possible in Nvidia graphic cards. I suggest that you don’t use the rotated monitor until and unless needed. Many applications and softwares that open in a full screen are never designed for the vertical resolution. If in the vertical display, you open one such software, then chances are that it will not be displayed properly. If you will be using custom software that is meant for vertical display, then it is fine. I have seen many times that in many showrooms or malls, people use normal display units in vertical position to display the ads and brochures.

The SLI technology in the Nvidia graphic cards is available only in high end graphic cards which have two output slots, two DVI ports, one display port and one HDMI port. These high end cards are only useful for gaming or commercial 3D work. If you work involves text editing and data entry kind of tasks then this dual displays is not much of use for you. Keeping the monitors separate and use them individually would be better option for you. Also maintain the dual graphic cards in any system become extremely tough as you will need to provide extra cooling to them. Again you will need to keep them clean and free of dust and other such things to keep them in working condition. It would cost you too much if you want to use it. Also if any problem occurs in one of the card, you will need to use only one graphic card till the other one is replaced or repaired.