Thread: Advice on HTPC for Satellite TV Connectivity and Recording

Advice on HTPC for Satellite TV Connectivity and Recording

I have to provide a solution for HTPC for home usage. The user has a Sky connection at his home. Now the first requirement is to get Sky on HTCP. Second the user wants to record those live channels as per choice. Now I had tried to play with my sky setup by connecting the same to my system via TV Tuner card. It worked well. But there is some issue where some channels were blank. They worked fine on the TV. I had arranged a system already. It is a old Core 2 Duo system with 2GB ram. I can add a good TV tuner card to it and use it. But I am not aware which card will be better. Second option I have is to go for a branded htpc system. I am finding this as the easier way. I can sell of that Core 2 Duo system and add by adding some amount can get a HTPC. I also need some of the best models which are available in the current time. The prime requirement is to hook sky connection on it and record channels. The person also has a home theater system. This also needs to be attached to the HTPC. So anyhow I will need to provide suggestion for a amplifier also. Right now for a media center software I prefer to go for Windows Media Center as this is the more easiest one to configure. Thanks

Re: Advice on HTPC for Satellite TV Connectivity and Recording

It is right that you will need a good amplifier for a good surround sound quality. If it is a home theater then the same comes with a amplifier. You can use that one. Or else I can list you some of the amplifier models which you can use with your current system. Below is a small list of top audio amplifier that are best recommended for home use.
    • Pioneer VSX-811S
    • Audiolab 8000A
    • NAD C370
    • Yaqin MC 10L 52
    • Bewitch KT88 Valve Amplifier
    • Cambridge Audio Azur 540A

If you are going with a custom build then it is required that you must go for proper TV Tuner card. Today high definition is famous. That means your video quality with better output. So you might be expecting to get high quality video after recording any stuff. The quality depends on the conversion process done by TV Tuner. Many recommend to have a graphic card also for the same purpose. AMD offers a similar card with high performance output. It is called as ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Combo PCI Express. It is a PCIe Tv Tuner that offer you better support with a full set of media tools to manage your entertainment needs. It has a hd antenna with tv analog support. You can record or schedule a record as per your need. Equipped with ATI Theater Video Processing Technology you can get high quality noise and video output. Along with this you can use Catalyst Media Center as a software support to manage your recordings. You do not really need to rely on Windows Media Center only.

I know a small card called as VisionTek TV Wonder HD 650 PCIe. It has a remote with it. Not too much costly this card is best recommended for home use. Try to read the specification to get better details.

An amplifier and tv tuner card are two different needs. In my views you must go for a complete htpc that can feed your needs. But you are not aware that there are hardly any product which comes with all this features. I had tried to find some dedicated product under HTPC list but mainly I found guides to make your own htpc. A HTPC consist of widescreen monitor, tv tuner, speaker support, etc. So there is really nothing much to look out. Go on web and get a full guide which can tell you each and every component of a HTPC. Then make a list and mark one by one by finding the topmost product available in that range. Anyhow going for TV Tuner card is much better solution from budget point of view.

What kind of satellite tv you are using. Is it a dish or set top box. Remember there is vast difference between cable connectivity and set top box. Many set top box cannot be used for recording purpose due to limitations. The connectivity is what it matters. The TV Tuner offer you the most common cable connectivity.

Here are some TV Tuner card from my side. This are all best card you can buy any of them install them easily in your system.
    • MSI Theater 650PRO TV Tuner
    • Saber DA-1N1-E Combo Analog/Digital PCI-E TV Tuner Card
    • Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1600
    • AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCI-E HDTV TV Tuner
    • ADS Technologies INSTANT HDTV PCI
    • Pinnacle PCTV HD TV Tuner
    • Kworld PlusTV HD PCI 120 TV Tuner

Post Re: Advice on HTPC for Satellite TV Connectivity and Recording

I recommend you TBS6981. It is a dual tuner satellite TV card and allows you watch one channels and record another one at the same time. It has good Connectivity with the dish network and runs properly on Window Media Center. I have been using this card over 2 year. It works great and no problem so far.