Thread: Fuzzy video and lines on laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 IGP

Fuzzy video and lines on laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 IGP

It seems to me that my laptop is acting very weird for some reason and this happens mostly when I play a game in full screen for a while. The laptop starts showing up some fuzzy lines like a pop up on the screen. If I close the game, the problem vanishes instantaneously. The laptop is running ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 IGP.

Re: Fuzzy video and lines on laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 IGP

Recently I have downloaded the demos from the ATI official site in order to check whether my ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 IGP is working fine or not. It first worked fine with the default settings. But as a test I changed the UMA Frame Buffer setting at 16MB of GPU memory. At that time I have noticed that this card is not working fine with this setting. So again I changed it to 32MB and now it is working well. Howeber I think that in order to get the best performance out of the card the settings should be selected as default. I am currently using it on Toshiba Satellite P35-S609.

I think that issue is due to the possible overheating. First of all to check the temps, install the HWMonitor and see what temps you are getting. Also tell what games you are running and in which games you are getting this issue. Did you check for the updated graphics driver?

I assume that your display adapter is still a standard VGA and you would like to get higher resolution or widescreen resolution for your games. In that came you must manually choose the ati radeon 9000 series driver from the hardware list. To do this go the device manager> display adapter > update driver and select "let me pick from a list of devices" or similar. In order to bring up a full list, you have to uncheck "show compatible hardware”. From there choose ATI and scroll to find ATI RADEON 9000 series

Somewhere I have read an article about the display setting. There it described that you have to go to the Display properties/Adjust resolution/Advanced settings/Troubleshooting/Settings and from there adjust the slider to the middle (in order to disable the acceleration) and due to this it will be at least avid the lock up of XDDM driver. This is what I am running now and games played well but only sometimes I feel little choppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Oms-waroop View Post
    Recently I have downloaded the demos from the ATI official site in order to check whether my ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 IGP is working fine or not. It first worked fine with the default settings. But as a test I changed the UMA Frame Buffer setting at 16MB of GPU memory. At that time I have noticed that this card is not working fine with this setting. So again I changed it to 32MB and now it is working well. Howeber I think that in order to get the best performance out of the card the settings should be selected as default. I am currently using it on Toshiba Satellite P35-S609.
    As far as I know that Ati has a Mobility 9000 IGP which is completely different than the Ati Mobility 9000 and it is with 64MB of dedicated memory. I think that you might have downloaded the wrong demo and due to this you are not getting proper results. Currently I am also using the somewhat kind config laptop and I have downloaded the demo which is specifically meant for the Mobility 9000 IGP and it runs fine. I can think of anything now.

Did you try the Windows update? If the ATI drivers are not compatible, then you could try running the Windows Generic drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvert View Post
    I think that issue is due to the possible overheating. First of all to check the temps, install the HWMonitor and see what temps you are getting. Also tell what games you are running and in which games you are getting this issue. Did you check for the updated graphics driver?
    I have installed the HW monitor and checked the temps and at that time I have observed that both CPU and GPU temps raises a bit but not overheating. I have heard that these temps are normal while playing games for hours and running any applications. So I don’t think that it is one of the problems for fuzzy video and lines. The issue could be something different. Also I am not running any Highly Graphics enabled games. These are just normal strategy games and flash games.

What resolution you have set up for your monitor? Make sure that resolution set to normal.

How is the refresh rate of the screen? Set the refresh rate compatible to your laptop panel and as for the resolution.

Does your laptop is running on onboard graphics or dedicated graphics? There might be switch to toggle it.