Thread: Suggestion for video card to use with MS Excel 2010 64 bit

Suggestion for video card to use with MS Excel 2010 64 bit

Currently I am having the Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 graphics adaptor an d now I want to change this with something else that can give me better performance. I am using computers specially for the use of Excel 2010 64 bit. Each of my excel file is of the size 50 MB and above and that is also full of macros. I am using this with monitors at 2560 x 1600. Currently I am looking for the most reliable suggestion. My computer is running 24x7.

I was searching for the same and there were a lot of results and I got confused that which one will be better for me. So I thought that it will be better if I ask the same over here. If someone of you can post with some suggestion that can help me to make a good suggestion then I will be really thankful for you. Cost doesn’t matter for me but I want the best from the card. Thank you so much in advance for the replies.

re: Suggestion for video card to use with MS Excel 2010 64 bit

You have posted the entire detailed but missed one thing that is specification of the computer that you are using. I don’t think that anyone can answer the best without the system specification. Anyways, if you are using a very old system then it is recommended to upgrade the PC and not the GPU. As you are currently running the Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 graphics adaptor and that is not yet outdated. This is sufficient to handle that much of resolution. This is just my recommendation to you, you can do whatever you think will be better for you.

Thank you so much for your reply and sorry that I forget to post the system details. Here it is:
    • Shuttle XPC Barebone SX58J3
    • Windows 7
    • Intel core i7-930 2.8GHz
    • 8 GB Ram
    • Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    • 240 GB SSD Type 3 Hard Drive

I want to add a card because some of the times, I found that a few of my excel files runs like they are running in slow motion. There are some screen flicker and also delay to open files.

Yes, there is no need to add a GPU but still if you want that then it will be better for you to go for the Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti. I am using the same and also working with tones of Excel files daily and never faced the issues like you have mentioned.

I also think that going for the Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti will be better option for you. here are the NVIDIA GPU's supported technologies that makes his the first preference of the users.
    • NVIDIA 3D Vision: providing support for 3D games combined with the monitor at 120 Hz and enable NVIDIA 3D glasses
    • NVIDIA 3DTV Play: allows the use of 3D TV, both for playing 3D games on Blu Ray 720P
    • NVIDIA PhysX, which improves performance of video games that use libraries of the same name for physics simulation
    • NVIDIA Surround: allows, using two twin video cards in SLI mode, control up to three screens with a resolution of 7680x1600 pixels (3 LCD screens 2560x1600 pixels).
    • NVIDIA CUDA: it supports all the applications that use libraries for CUDA parallel computing, scientific applications from those dedicated to multimedia.

As far as I know that there is no relation with the Graphics cards and the excel spreadsheet. If you are getting problem like this then there might be some other reason for this but it cannot be the Graphics cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bageshri27 View Post
    As far as I know that there is no relation with the Graphics cards and the excel spreadsheet. If you are getting problem like this then there might be some other reason for this but it cannot be the Graphics cards.
    I am completely agree with you but as I have already told and I think that running the 4 diff 50 mb spreadsheets on 2 diff 2560 x 1600 30 inch monitors may be affected by the graphs cards and having a new and better card can make some difference in performance. This is all I think about this. And if this is not the case then what can be the thing that is causing issues for better performance and how can I get rid of it. Please help.

No then also graphic card cannot be the reason for this. I would like to tell you that even if you are doing multithreading then the cpu speed and memory are the main factors that can affect the processing and not the card. Video cards are specially for getting better gaming experience.

Anyways, if you think that graphic card is the reason for this issue then you can simply turn off the adaptive performance and get the MSI afterburner and after that put the profile for the maximum power to have all the times.

Other than this, it is better to know that the Screen ghosting is because of the poor monitor panel. If you are having the Panels with low latency then that is not going to ghost. It is not possible for the graphics card to ghost any of the things. Other than this, there is also possibility that your screen is of poor quality and that may lead to reduced responsiveness as well as ghosting.

I would like to tell you that the speed for the spreadsheet is completely depend on the CPU as well as hard drive but as I can see that you are having the SSD and a 930 then that cannot be the reason for this. There is possibility that you are having the subtle bottleneck somewhere.

Re: Suggestion for video card to use with MS Excel 2010 64 bit

Just check that what are the applications running in the background of the system. If there are a lot of programs running in the computer then that can also slow down the processing. If there is any unnecessary program running then just end that process and see if it can make any difference with the performance.