Thread: How does gpu boost work with Nvidia Geforce GTX-680?

How does gpu boost work with Nvidia Geforce GTX-680?

Is it just me or there are also some of the other people who thinks that this is totally useless. As far as I know that the card overclocks automatically when this is having the spare power while the fps is high anyway and that goes to the stock beneath heavy load. This is when you really require having the extra power. Am I correct?

Anyways, I am going to get the Nvidia Geforce GTX-680 and I believe that this is very good card to use. But I am not able to understand that what is the GPU boost feature in this and how does it work.

re: How does gpu boost work with Nvidia Geforce GTX-680?

Yes, the Nvidia Geforce GTX-680 comes with the graphics turbo that works with the "GPU Boost". While the chip manufacturer does not have any concrete information on power consumption, the ratio of performance to watt but it is good card with the new "GPU Boost" technology. This is very similar to the Intel's turbo boost, the Kepler-GPU regulate their own consumption. This goes beyond AMD's Powertune because even the GPU clock and voltage can be adjusted upward.

I have not seen any of the button to turn this feature on. As far as I know that the blue arrow is the stock clock and orange is the boost clock. Anyways, this is good enough to make use of this. I will keep on monitoring the meter while playing the BF3. I have done two benches and that does not push the meter to high.

Quote Originally Posted by ddj View Post
    I have not seen any of the button to turn this feature on. As far as I know that the blue arrow is the stock clock and orange is the boost clock. Anyways, this is good enough to make use of this. I will keep on monitoring the meter while playing the BF3. I have done two benches and that does not push the meter to high.
    I know that this feature get turned on automatically an there is no button to turn it on but this is not my point. This seems very much similar to Intel turbo boost because this clocks automatically and you will not have to do anything. So just curious to know that how is ti different and how it works.

I think that it will be better for you if you see this video. They have explained it quite straight forward that how do it work and I am sure that you will have better understanding after this.

A new technology called GPU Boost makes the GPU faster work if needed. The GPU constantly monitors the power consumption and temperature of the GPU. NVIDIA makes no official statements about the maximum clock frequency with GPU Boost achieved. That Boost Clock for the GeForce GTX 680 is 1058 MHz.

In addition to the new Kepler architecture that leads Nvidia, the GeForce GTX 680 also includes several new features. These new features are based partly on the new graphics chip, so that some innovations to be used with an appropriate driver update on older graphics cards. This is the automatic raising of the chip clock under load - if more power is desired and the thermal and power specifications still allow air to it.

The graphics chip for every 100 milliseconds are from a number of factors such as power consumption, chip temperature, load status, memory usage, etc…which are checked and adjusted the clock speed and GPU voltage continuously. User will feel like nothing but this will be running in background.

I really do not care that how does it work, If this is giving me better performance then who cares that how does it work. It really does not matter to me and I think that end users should not worry about this, we are only concerned with the result.

I was searching for the same and I found that there are total two overclocking functions to be used with the GPU Boost. Either, you can increase the clock speed offset and because of this the GPU will be forced to run at a quicker minimum clock or you can also raise the boost clock. If you wish to make maximum overclocking then you can make use of both but I don’t think that there is any assurance for the stability of the overclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieT View Post
    I was searching for the same and I found that there are total two overclocking functions to be used with the GPU Boost. Either, you can increase the clock speed offset and because of this the GPU will be forced to run at a quicker minimum clock or you can also raise the boost clock. If you wish to make maximum overclocking then you can make use of both but I don’t think that there is any assurance for the stability of the overclocking.
    I have never bothered regarding the overclocking and this is because I do not want to take the risk for the warranty. Other than this, I am also unsure about the things that come under warranty. So I will never do/recommend for overclocking.

How GPU Boost differs from AMD's Powertune that the Radeon HD 6950 and HD 6970 made his debut? To put it simply refines Powertune the steps between the highest P-state of a GPU and the intermediate state which they would occupy and see if their TDP would be exceeded.