Thread: Nvidia GeForce 295 GTX giving Error Code 8 related to OpenGL

Nvidia GeForce 295 GTX giving Error Code 8 related to OpenGL

I am using an Nvidia GeForce 295 GTX in my PC which has Windows 7 installed. It is DirectX 11 enabled. I was playing game on my system when suddenly game crashed and an error message appeared,
    The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display
    driver and is unable to continue. The application must close.
    Please visit nvidia.co...ge/support.html for help.
    Error code: 8

After I click on the ‘Ok’ button, the screen goes black for few seconds and again comes back with a message saying that ‘Some driver has crashed’. This error only occurs when I am doing something that requires GPU, especially games. It does not affect Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel or Adobe Reader. Can anyone tell me what this error is about? Is there any way to solve it?

Re: Nvidia GeForce 295 GTX giving Error Code 8 related to OpenGL

This error occurs many times when the OpenGl drivers of your graphic card doesn’t support Vertical Sync. I used to get this error when I used Nvidia 9800 GT in my PC. In Nvidia settings, you will find a tab for managing the 3D settings. There be default the Vertical Sync settings will be set to ‘Use the 3D application setting’. This causes every application which needs Vertical Sync for operation to use it on Full settings. Set it to ‘Force off’. This will automatically set the Vertical Sync setting of every game or application to ‘Off’. Try this, maybe it will solve your problem.

From your question, it seems like your graphic card is setting the game to run on OpenGL drivers rather than DirectX drivers. This be causing the OpenGL drivers to take more load than it is required leading to its crash and every other application that needs it. Chances of your OpenGL drivers being incompatible with your hardware or OS can also be a possibility of this problem. You can run the games on DirectX drivers, but the resolution and the texture quality of the game will be compromised. If in the game, any poster or paper is attached on the wall, then the text will become hard to read or certain small objects in the texture will look bad.

What will be the fun of playing a game with good graphics if one has to compromise the quality of its detailing. It would mean that the graphic card is placed in the system just for sake of starting the game that needs the piece of hardware. Also what will be the purpose of having a graphic card if it cannot give us the flawless quality it advertises.

I too am getting a similar problem in my PC which uses the SLI technology to run 3 monitors simultaneously. Whenever I am playing game like Battlefield 3, I get an error saying that the drivers for my Nvidia graphic card have been crashed. It also happens for simple game games like Minecraft. It does not give any problem in rendering images and videos, hey work normally. First I thought that this problem must be occurring due to overheating of graphic cards. I checked their temperature manually and none of them were above 600C. The error doesn’t occur periodically. It just comes up randomly and crashes my game.

I have tried updating the drivers for my graphic card, downgrading the version of the drivers but still it didn’t help. I uninstalled every driver for graphic card using Drivesweeper and again reinstalled new drivers but still the problem occurs.

According to my knowledge, this fault can occur due to insufficient power supply or inconsistent power supply to the graphic cards. While playing heavy games like Dead Island or Battlefield 3, the energy consumption for the graphic card is at peak. A graphic card like Nvidia GeForce 295 GTX requires around 600 watt of energy. To provide this energy, the PSU must supply a least 700 watt of energy. This leads us to say that if we want to operate other peripherals smoothly by also providing 600 watt of energy to GPU, then we will need to use a PSU that can supply at least 1200 watts of energy.

I too am having this problem and I know it occurs only while playing the heavy games like Saints Row 3. So I tried overclocking the graphic card. The overclocking was successful, but the problem still persists.

I have changed the single components of the graphic card including the cooling fan to the processor, but nothing seems to be the problem. I don’t think that the problem has anything to do with the hardware of the graphic card. The problem lies in the drivers or the software that control the functionality of the graphic card. I have even worked on the BIOS settings to see if something is blocking the proper working of the graphic card, but still haven’t found anything that can point to the problem or any solution.