Thread: Mounting Wei-Ya chassis to make it work with 27” RCA TV tube

Mounting Wei-Ya chassis to make it work with 27” RCA TV tube

I was trying to modify the tube of 27” RCA TV to work it with Wei-Ya chassis, but I failed. After modification, I couldn’t find a way to fit it in the main frame. Currently I am using frame of WG 25” TV. I researched about the design and found that I might need 4 angle brackets to be able to fit in the 27” cabinet. I tried using a 4 angle bracket by cutting the wood in its shape. But I don’t think that the 4 angle brackets will be able to handle the weight of such large tube. Can anyone suggest me any better solution to solve the problem?

Re: Mounting Wei-Ya chassis to make it work with 27” RCA TV tube

You can try adding a resistor to the back of the tube, this will control the frequency and the spikes that are generated by the Wei-Ya chassis. You can try rewinding the yoke for better performance. If you are not sure that the 4 angle bracket won’t be able to handle the weight of the large tube than you can try applying strong glue and try screwing it to the either sides of the cabinet. First apply the glue and let it completely dry off before screwing it to the cabinet. Do not forget to use washers when screwing the 4 angle bracket to the cabinet.

From the description of the situation that you have mentioned, I think that you have tried modifying the yoke to make it compatible to chassis. It is a god idea and works for many models many times but in your case it seems to have failed. If it is successful than it is the one of the safest and stable method for modifying the tube. When using this method, see to it that the horizontal transistor is overheating and the heat generated isn’t too much. Also the ventilation to let the heat escape must be good. Even a small amount of heat can interrupt the working of other parts.

You can use strips of plywood to keep the tube in place. You can screw them across the frame of cabinet to keep it from moving. You need to take care that the wooden frame isn’t seen in the insides of the frame. This will reduce the screen space that the tube needs. You can lay the tube face down on the plywood and then mark the measurements with a pencil. You can make a frame using this method to keep the tube in place.

When assembling the tube in the cabinet, see to it that the glass of cabinet and the tubes glass don’t come in contact with each other. This might cause a rubbing between them damaging both the glasses.

Basically the structure of the cabinet for TV tube is designed such that there is no support for the tube from the top side. So if you are trying to create a support for the tube from the top, it won’t be of much use. I suggest you that you should focus on providing the tube support from the sides and the bottom. You need to keep a distance of inch between mounting tabs and cabinet's side at its narrowest point. By ‘narrowest point’, I mean to denote the strip that seems to be attached to the side to hold the plexi glass in its place and avoid any slightest movement that can be possible. Also use a shelf like formation at the bottom because major weight concentration will be there.

It is recommended that you use a non static and anti-electromagnetic sheet between the tube and speakers. This is required to shield the speakers from the static and the magnetic field generated by the tube. Also if the sheet is not present, then magnets used in the speakers might pull metallic wires in the tube out of place. This will cause a loss of alignment of the wires resulting in an unclear picture quality. In worst case, color blotches will be displayed along the screen. If your monitor has an option to demagnetize, then the magnetic effect of speakers can be killed.

Mounting the tube along with chassis in the cabinet is not that hard. The harder part in this process is when you are trying to adjust the bolt at the bottom of chassis of the cabinet. Since there are no standard mounting holes present, you can use the dog ear formation which will fit with arcade monitor frame easily. While doing this, see to it that you don’t break any connection or some part. If something like this happens, then you will need to disintegrate the whole assembly again.

While mounting the chassis and the monitor, see to it that you are attaching the wires properly. During my attempts, I had once cross connected 2 wires. This resulted in the blowing of the tube in my TV. I tried replacing the yoke but it didn’t help. The guns inside the tube were badly fried.