Thread: Battlefield 3 locks up on AMD Radeon HD 7970 saying, ‘Out of Memory’

Battlefield 3 locks up on AMD Radeon HD 7970 saying, ‘Out of Memory’

I am playing Battlefield 3 on my PC which has AMD Radeon HD 7970. The problem is that the game stops responding in between and suddenly crashes. The game closes and goes on the desktop. The error message is shown in the image below. I have a RAM memory of 3 GB. According to the game’s specifications, it should be enough for proper working of game. I have updated the drivers, but still the error persists. I am playing game on high graphic settings, I tried playing on normal settings, but still it gave me same error. Can anybody help me?

Re: Battlefield 3 locks up on AMD Radeon HD 7970 saying, ‘Out of Memory’

I think that the error must be due incompatibility of graphic drivers and the game. You can try fresh installation of graphic drivers. To remove the drivers, uninstall them from your system using ‘atiman.msi’. After they are uninstalled. Install a fresh copy of drivers in your system. See if the game gives you error again. I have experienced similar errors many times because of mismatching graphic drivers. Also many people have complained of Battlefield 3 having too many glitches when played on high resolution. Also try disabling the page file, it might solve the problem as well as speed up the game.

There is no use turning off the page file for the game. The OS itself uses the page file function to execute any software and manage it. Also many softwares need the page file to keep itself running. So I think that by turning off the page file, you are risking the Battlefield 3 to create more errors. If you think that disabling the page file might solve the error, than you can try disabling it only for the drive in which the game is installed. If it is same drive as that of Windows OS, then no matter what, don’t turn off the page file. The problem is with the high quality of the textures that are used in the game. The RAM fails to open the textures in some part which results in game crashes. You need to find a way where the textures of the game will be pre-loaded in your system. I know this will increase the loading time required by the game, but I don’t see any other practical solution.

To manage the page files properly where needed, you can use FancyCache on your system. It is provides additional caching system in combination of system memory providing a good way of data caching for volume disks used for data storage. It helps in proper caching of memory utilizing the available RAM for future need. So when in the future the page file that has been cached, it is quickly found increasing the speed of the process. The data is cached on the logical block basis while Windows OS caches the memory blocks on virtual block basis.

I too am using a AMD Radeon HD 7900 series graphic card in my system. From my experience I can tell you that the problem is related to the drivers that are meant for DirectX 11 compatible games.

Have you checked the temperature of your GPU. Battlefield 3 is a very heavy game. It consumes the GPU memory like no end. This results in heating of graphic card. When the system detects the heat that has preceded the recommended level, it shuts down the GPU for a while. This can be cause of the crash as well. See to it that your CPU is placed in a well ventilated place which lets the heat inside your system to go out and not accumulate around the system.