Thread: Considering my HD LCD TV should I go for HDMI or VGA?

Considering my HD LCD TV should I go for HDMI or VGA?

I already have a Samsung HD LCD TV of model LE40R72B which supports up to 720p but have a native resolution of 1366x768.

There is nothing for me to ask regarding the TV nor do I have any problem with it. Actually the thing is that I have a bought a new Xbox 360 Premium which has HDMI support. Now my question is that whether I should go for buying a new HDMI cable or VGA cable.

As I have heard that there are certain ups and downs with both HDMI and VGA cable when it comes to my Samsung HD LCD TV. So please suggest me with the best one that could most probably best suited for my overall system considering both Xbox and LCD TV.

Re: Considering my HD LCD TV should I go for HDMI or VGA?

If asked me then I would go for VGA cable. Because it has already been seen that the HDMI cables are only able to give pre-defined resolution signals as output, but using VGA cable you can easily eliminate this drawback. But again if you go for VGA cable, then most probably you will end up having the same picture quality.

But I would definitely like to know what could be the possible advantage if we connect an HDMI to DVI cable.

Having an HDMI to DVI cable as an option will simply allow you to have both HDMI quality + native resolution. But for the person who has Samsung HD LCD TV can’t make use of it as that TV has just an HDMI input. Also if you think to go for DVI to HDMI converter, again you will end up having restricted resolutions.

Actually my 360 is set at 1366x768 and my TV has a native resolution, so if I go VGA cable the screen quality looks too soft. Because the images were too sharper in my TV I ended up setting it to 1280x720.

Well let me tell you that you can get lot of options if you go for VGA in order to match the native resolution of your TV.

Let me also tell you that there is no requirement HDMI to DVI cabling or dongle attachments like DVI to VGA, you know that your TV has both HDMI and VGA connection possible so better go for one instead of wasting your money and making things complicated. I did the same mistake, I used both VGA and HDMI connection but later on I found that the HDMI actually offer a better picture than VGA and also it was better in all other aspects. In one of the game I when I examined, I noticed a detailed and clear textures using HDMI connection whereas using VGA I couldn’t see such clarity.