Thread: Stuttering in Games with VSync enabled on GTX 590 SLI

Stuttering in Games with VSync enabled on GTX 590 SLI

There is a problem with the new rig. I have installed the 2 EVGA GTX 590 and configure it in SLI so that it can power 3 monitors. I usually play my games in single monitor who is connected to GPU1. If I turn on the vsync game starts to stutter and it then goes really bad and Fps drops continually. After waiting for 5 to 10 seconds, it becomes normal. It starts to happen at certain interval of time. If the vsync is off, then there is no stuttering
    I have following system specs:
    • GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 AM3+ AMD 990FX motherboard
    • AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
    • 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM
    • 2 GeForce GTX 590 running in SLI
    • SSD for Windows and games
    • Silverstone 1500W PSU
    • Windows 7.

Temps are normal and it is not overheating but the GPU1 usually at 99% load. How can I solve the issue?

Re: Stuttering in Games with VSync enabled on GTX 590 SLI

With Vsync only when you have your monitors hz or fps = fps = hz / 2 of fluid picture. Ideally, keep this constantly because even without a drop of -2 fps is it first to a noticeable stuttering and then micro-stutter. Micro stuttering is also a problem for single-gpu systems as well as in dual gpu systems, of course, only in the case of activated vsync. What triple buffering is possible that the fps drop to a low value is not equal to the maximum number of FPS to be halved because of the drop is from 60 to 30 fps very uncomfortable, but the micro stutter itself is not caused by the triple buffering.

The problem is with Triple buffering that the frame times no longer agree. For me personally, are constant 30fps on my 60hz monitor much more pleasant than 55fps with vsync and triple buffering. So solution is, if you are seeing micro stutter at the triple buffering, either to achieve the constant hz or fps in half the number in hz-fps limit. Of course you can also enable vsync but play with some tearing is simply unacceptable.

It's not vsync. The call to this will block until the suitable time if you enable vsync. This means that except you undertake rendering multithreaded, that does not support DirectX 10, this should not go on is to say, it should be not viable to present multiple times in a frame.

I recommend to keep in mind that now tearing can be avoided only by time delay of the image output to the next frame, but also inevitably occurs just a change of frame Times.

As a result, you get something like mixing frequencies that are perceived by the eye. Which may well be lower than one would expect the number of frames per second after.

Could possibly be caused by the triple buffering vsync in conjunction with micro stuttering. If the refresh rate is capped at 60 Hz, then a sequence of images shown from 40 fps, a frame by alternating long and two refreshes of the next frame is displayed only a refresh long. Thus the frame rate jumps from frame to frame between 30 fps and 60 fps.

The change 30fps and 60 fps are always more effective than continuous fps 30 fps. There is more temporal information with triple buffering. But notice the micro stuttering can. In particular, one senses that the latency does not match the displayed frame rate. For with the noticeable latency dominates the low frame rate level.

Do you have a 120Hz monitor? You could easily change the rendering mode of the graphics performance that reduces / prevents the micro stuttering. More than 60/120 Hz your monitor cannot display anyway. Or you can force driver for the activation of Vsync. Maybe this helps. Alternatively, you could also leave the frame rate to the Inspector appointment 60/120 fps limit and stay out Vsync.

I'm glad to have stumbled upon this article because I almost tempted several times by a SLI / crossfire. But despite my many readings of tests / benchs / depth reviews, I have never seen any "experts" constantly carping on various forums to report this problem.

I currently use the Gigabyte GTX590 with an i7 2600K. What I can say is that this card offers the ideal level of performance for player comfort 3D vision on a full HD compatible with all games. In addition, the card is really quiet, which is very pleasant when one does not feel obliged to play with headphones.

The GTX 590 is a dual GPU card. Then you'd have your statements a little more concrete. You said you run your 590 in SLI. Since there are 2 GPUs PER CARD, it is in SLI. You said you've got you on the price of the card directly 2. This is called Quad SLI is 4 GPUs. If you really want to go quad-SLI and want to take all the problems in the sale, then you should also be aware that each card is given a TDP 365W vpn. Time the two had already 730W. But the fact remains that the drivers are not really designed for Quad SLI.