Thread: GPU fan has stopped working in AMD radeon HD 6990M and my main fan is overworking to compensate

GPU fan has stopped working in AMD radeon HD 6990M and my main fan is overworking to compensate

Hi i have bought the clevo p150hm with upgraded GPU of AMD radeon HD 6990M for gaming. This sytem was working very nicely until the last night when I was playing online games with some intense graphics on it. I have played the lots of the heavy graphic games but this has never happened before. When quit the game and put my pc to hibernate it cooled down and when I turn on my pc back my fan again started running on the full speed. I have tried keeping my pc shutdown for almost two days and still got the same problem. I have tested my system with speedfan application. This shows my GPU fan running on 0% rpm and my GPU temperature also rises quickly. So for now all of my cooling is done by the main fan only and I guess my GPU fan is almost dead now! What do you guys think about this?

Re: GPU fan has stopped working in AMD radeon HD 6990M and my main fan is overworking to compensate

No you can’t believe on the applications like speedfan as they only gives the reading based on sensors only. They sometimes fail to give proper reading by either getting the wromg sensor or by they are just not able to use the sensors properly. It could be that your GPU fan is not working but you should try having some more research on your system before doing any speculations. I will recommend you to use the HWMonitor to check the system properly for any faults. You can also go to the BIOS and check the readings from there.

Re: GPU fan has stopped working in AMD radeon HD 6990M and my main fan is overworking to compensate

Well I have downloaded the HWMonitor and also the utility called open hardware monitor. I can see the same temperature readings on both speed fan and HMMonitor. Speedfan has listed my GPU fan with 0% rpm but now in HWMonitor it doesn’t even show any information about the fan at all. Open hardware lists my GPU fan at 50% rpm always though.

I think that your system is overheating but not because of the GPU fan , it can also be the CPU that may be getting hotter in there! Are you using this system in dusty place? It may be the case that your CPU is surrounded by the dust which inturn is not able to provide the proper cooling for the system. As you also mentioned here above that open hardware says that your GPU fan is running at 50% rpm!

No I am not using the laptop in dusty place and it is also the brand new computer so there is no such issue with my computer here. I have confirmed that my CPU is not overheating and all the applications are showing the constant temperature for my CPU. Even my GPU temperature remains constant unless I am playing some intense graphic games. My main fan seems to be running at very high speed but still able to keep the temperature low.

You said that your laptop is new so why don’t you return it to the service center for repairing. You must be having the laptop in the warranty period. Check the power setting you must have set the fan speed to very high causing it run at very high speed at all the time. check the temperature of the fan and note it down! sometimes GPUs can work even with 100c also.

Yes this was a good advice but I have brand new intel i7 processor and its only spending at most 15% of power. it has been under 30s and never really went up then 30. I have worked around to configure the laptop, load applications and settings. I am not sure if there is a need to submit this laptop to service center. It will also take weeks to come back fully repaired and thus I would like to try as many experiments as I can before submitting it to service center.