Thread: Nvidia Geforce GT 540M video driver is not working ASUS X53S on dual boot system of Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Nvidia Geforce GT 540M video driver is not working ASUS X53S on dual boot system of Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Recently I purchased ASUS X53SV laptop. I have made it dual boot system by Windows 7 and ubuntu. I have noticed that Nvidia Geforce GT 540M video driver does not working at all. also some of the function keys does not working. I noticed brightness buttons, SRT/VGA switcher and Insert button are working fine. But I am not able to set sound or switch touch pad on or off. Can you give me a brief idea why I am suffering from the above mentioned issue?

Re: Nvidia Geforce GT 540M video driver is not working ASUS X53S on dual boot system of Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Looking at the situation of yours I recommend following command which you should run on the terminal and provide output of it over here.

Code:
    lspci -v | grep -i vga
    you should copy and paste the command in order to avoid any error.

Re: Nvidia Geforce GT 540M video driver is not working ASUS X53S on dual boot system of Windows 7 and Ubuntu

In order to resolve the touchpad issue you have to run below mentioned command.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install dkms
    cd /usr/src/
    sudo wget http://planet76.com/drivers/elantech...ech-v6.tar.bz2
    sudo tar jxvf psmouse-elantech-v6.tar.bz2
    sudo dkms add -m psmouse -v elantech-v6
    sudo dkms build -m psmouse -v elantech-v6
    sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v elantech-v6
    after that you should reboot the computer and run below mentioned command.

Code:
    sudo rmmod psmouse && sudo modprobe psmouse

If your system is enabled by Optimus then proprietary driver would not work for you. in case Optimus is not enabled then Nvidia card would work with proprietary driver without having any issue. the only way to use Nvidia card which would go through the switch in BIOS and only optimus enabled laptops which are having that kind of switch. If you have got Optimus enabled laptop than you have to find out the way to disable Nvidia card from the BIOS and make use of Intel Card.

You will need to uninstall the nvidia driver so that Intel card can work properly. you can do that by using following steps.
    • You should boot your computer into recovery mode and simply start failsafe-X.
    • You should go for System and go for Administration and after that go for Additional Drivers to deactivate the nVidia driver.
    • You should move Xorg file.

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old
    • restart you system and after that Intel card would begin to work.

There is a tool which is called Blumblebee and it will allow you to shut down the graphic card when it is not required and make use of integrated graphics. It seems to ideal when you are supposed to do word processing and basic web-browsing. However you can go back to dedicated graphics whenever there is needed. It can also use both the cards when GPU is supposed to use different task.