Thread: how to make use of Apple TV as iTunes server?

how to make use of Apple TV as iTunes server?

hello i recently purchased the apple tv and as a great experience while watching it. however, i want to know whether, i will be able to make use of the Apple TV2 as an iTunes server so as that my PC does not have to be on? to state further, i will say that my music is situated on an external hard drive which is connected to my Airport Base Station . I am making use of an Aiport Express to have an extra extension of my network and play music from my stereo receiver. it is working great but iTunes constantly requires to be running. I know that I can make use of an inexpensive Windows machine or else MAC mini as the iTunes server but i have a question whether if Apple TV would be the technology to support it. anyone having some information about this topic can reply here

Re: how to make use of Apple TV as iTunes server?

hello, according to me as you stated whether, you will be able to make use of Apple TV as iTunes server, i will say no in this case as , iTunes requires to be running for the AppleTV so that it is able to access content, even on an external hard drive.

According to me, I gathered some information from other sites and came across that perhaps I suppose about activating iTunes match. There will be no requirement by this process to have iTunes running in order to access your music, purchased tv shows, rented movies, in addition with photo streaming . I don’t know the actual cost but in order to free up your bandwidth you should keep iTunes closed as often as likely. unluckily your private videos and acquired videos will still be available by means of iTunes or an iDevice or through AirPlay I suppose .

Hey guys, I can make some solution for this as I got some idea about it. And according to me, I consider the difficulty is with the cloud services at present - home grown content of whatever nature will not be existing but in this case I'm not telling that I believe Apple should have a match with any non itunes store TV or else movie video content . as the cloud is possibly a cool thought we are yet having a lack of a cheap non-computer based LAN itunes server result which can propose Home Sharing.

in addition to this , i would say I do tend to depart my Mac on 24/7 but a lot of people don not desire to do that . A Time Capsule kind unit that might wake in reply to every limited AppleTVs and provide media would be a wonderful solution which will help you in your case. I think you should go and try for this and hope you have found something useful.

Hey guys, it was interesting in my case as I have signed up for iTunes match recently. I don’t have enough idea completely understand how this would solve my problem though . Are you saying that I will be able to run iTunes in the cloud and not have to run iTunes locally? I know that iTunes match as a cloud back up only in this case. I think I should say that your solution should stand ideal, or will you make me some help possible as I am not not getting enough idea how would I run iTunes from iTunes match? I am making use of using the Remote app on my iPad to access my music library now (with the help of home sharing).

As you are unble to get to the answer, I can tell you in this case as iTunes Match will be fine for any matched audio to play direct from the internet on ATV2. And in this case you can watch itunes purchased TV shows from the internet below the TV column lacking computer on.These things are steps in a fine way, but for several groups their internet connections/monthly quotas are not up to it yet.

I can come up to this solution as figured out how to allow iTunes match from the music app on my iPad. I can recognize now how this works at present. I am new to Apple technology but it is all starting to make some sense.thanks.

The issue seems that there is no way so that you are able to enter the authorization code that the Apple TV .

You can make use of your NAS to store the iTunes library, but the Server has to be running on a Mac or a PC so you are able to make use of only authorized Apple TV to make use of it.

i don't have any idea regarding any of the NAS servers that permits the Authorization string, but there may be one out there.
    its a very small issue , but I would like to be able to access the content directly .