Thread: Multiple GeForce GTX 280 graphics card not working with Dell XPS730

Multiple GeForce GTX 280 graphics card not working with Dell XPS730

HI, I am having Dell XPS730 machine in which i have gotten GeForce GTX 280 graphics card but the thing is as if something else is causing the cards to fail, but I have not managed to find out what exactly.

Actually the problems is like as I load a game, the GPU crashes, and I obtain a neon colored screen, in the past it has been pink, blue, red, green, and mainly recently green/blue.

Once I have restarted the PC, the whole thing runs completely until the next day. PC will have been off overnight, and while I come to load a game the next day, same thing, crash, reboot, fine etc. any suggestion will be appreciated.

Re: Multiple GeForce GTX 280 graphics card not working with Dell XPS730

Are you having problem with particular games only or with almost all the games? Because see if this is happening with only particular game them i must say there could be some problem with the game that you were trying to play.

You should t try to reinstall the game first and then see whether you are getting any variation or not, and if yes so the problem is resolved obviously otherwise there could be some other problem. But still you should try that first and then mentioned it over here.

As you have mentioned like you are trying to run the machine with multiple GPU’s thus you should firstly make sure whether the hardware that you are using is compatible with each other. After that make sure whether the drivers that you have installed for those hardware is working perfectly or not.

As far as SLI is concern i have heard that we must have to make use of same graphics card in order to run them parallel. Thus if you have installed two different hardware then obviously you’ll not be able to use them together.

Exactly i am having the same opinion as the above user but there could be some problem with the motherboard as well, because once i was having the same problem and after huge research i came to know that SLI bridge on the motherboard was damaged actually. But still this is different thing that comes quite last, thus first make sure about the basic things mentioned above, but if you still pursuing the same problem even after trying all this thing then you should test the motherboard as well in your machine and make sure about the same.

I would like to let you aware about the drivers that you must have to install in order to use those graphic cards in the machine. I hope you must be aware about the same, because see if there will be some problem with the drivers only then obviously whatever you do with another hardware the problem remains the same. Thus according to me you should first make sure whether the drivers that you must have installed are working perfectly or not. And if you got any problem with that you must have to reinstall them in order to resolute the problem.

But while installing the driver always ensure like you are not installing the same drivers that you have installed previously in the machine rather you should try to install the one which is consider to be the most recent.

Have you gotten this graphics card with the RIG that you have bought previously? Or you have add it after that? Because it might be possible as the hardware that you have installed might not be compatible with another hardware that you have in the machine.

See can you please mentioned the configuration that you are having in your machine? so that i can assist you further?

you should test the BIOS that you are using in your machine, because it might be possible as it could be causing problem detecting two hardware at a same time.

you may have to change the BIOS if they are older version or simply if you are running the latest one then make sure you have made all the settings appropriately, or else simply keep them default.

Have you gotten this graphics card with the RIG that you have bought previously? Or you have add it after that? Because it might be possible as the hardware that you have installed might not be compatible with another hardware that you have in the machine.

See can you please mention the configuration that you are having in your machine? so that i can assist you further?
    No I have already gotten this hardware with the machine, but still i am sure as the RIG that i have is also perfect rather all the hardware is compatible with each and everyone that i have. Anyways see i have mentioned the configuration that i have in the machine.

XPS730 - dell

4GB ram

X9650 chip (core 2 extreme)

nvidia 790i ultra sli chip set

GTX 280 – graphic card

WINDOWS 7 64 home premium

After seeing the configuration it seems like you have gotten the perfect hardware in the machine, but still have you ever make out whether there is any hardware problem in the machine or what? Because it might be possible as the GPU that you are having that must be having some problem and that need to be replaced once, thus you should make sure about the same first and then see what happens.

Yeah exactly i am agree with the above user as This is a driver issue. I’ve had the similar problem on my gtx280 as have had a lot of other people in various threads over here. Thus after rolling back to 280.xx driver appears to have sorted it for at the present.