Thread: Is Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 compatible with Linux?

Is Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 compatible with Linux?

Hello everyone! The reason of me posting here is that I was considering to bring a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 for myself but is it compatible with Linux? I was not quite sure about it so wanted to confirm. Also please let me know some features about the Sapphire Radeon HD 6870.

Re: Is Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 compatible with Linux?

Preceeding the time when AMD took over ATi. ATi was infamous for Linux drivers. Never ever worked. nVidia has customarily worked invariably fine. Reactant (otherwise known as fglrx) in Linux just began upgrading around late 2009.Catalyst has upgraded immensely now the extent that Linux drivers are concerned. At the same time it still lingers behind in supporting most cutting edge X.org discharges. You wouldn't be able to utilize the last Catalyst when Ubuntu 11.04 and Fedora 15 were discharged. Stimulator just began working fine several months when their discharge. This time it works fine with Ubuntu 11.10 on discharge.

AMD realistic cards do work fine out-of-the-container in view of the formally backed open-root driver. AMD has a tendency to make the specialized documentation of their lifelike cards open for this. This driver offers brilliant 2D but absolutely regretful 3D uphold. Along these lines, diversions don't work fine-desktop impacts work fine. There is an open origin driver named nouveau for nVidia which nVidia DOES NOT uphold. This is a backwards designed driver-not comparable to the AMD open-cause one.

I utilize Arch Linux. nVidia exclusive driver is in the vault which would not joke about this is fine. Impetus spoils in AUR (Arch User Repository) which would not joke about this may work fine/might not-utilize at your particular danger. They ought to chip away at hoisting Catalyst from AUR.

Then none of the ensembles have offered underpin to alert switching (AMD Bacon and nVidia Optimus) on Linux. nVidia has had one card slaughtering driver. I'll finish up by maxim, both are bad HD 4890 has sound over HDMI worked out-of-the-case with Ubuntu (open-cause driver) without the requirement of Catalyst. It never worked in Catalyst (Linux and Windows).

It is in fact proofing our focus about predictable driver redesigns and imrovements by AMD and zoom up some the appearance of the folks truism that AMD has disagreeable driver back in Linux. +1 rep for you.

Regarding the just explanation you'd would like to stay with the Radeon HD 6450 over NVIDIA's easy-close illustrations cards is if desiring to uphold AMD and their official open-cause methodology where as the open-origin NVIDIA Linux driver is improved actually by the group without any structure of backing from NVIDIA Corp. During that timeframe, the open-cause Radeon Linux driver is superior in terms of the specialty-culmination (e.g. capacity administration) of its DRM and Gallium3D parts contrasted with Nouveau

No issues whatsoever on Ubuntu 11.10. Every little item is smooth and works fine.As far as Arch is concerned, the most recent Catalyst 11.10 doesn't uphold the most cutting edge X.org 1.11. postpone in supporting the last X.org discharges at time.

I am able to downsize to X.org 1.10 and afterward utilize Catalyst. Barely a 5 moment work for me. Anyway assuming that I blatantly had to do this, I wouldn't be utilizing a bleeding edge distro like Arch at the precise ahead of all comers. Utilizing the OSS driver on Arch subsequently which works totally fine. The just issue is my GPU's fan rotates on max speed.

I have likewise arranged profile based or powerful fan speed/voltage/frequency throttling in the open origin driver for Arch. It is working altogether fine now. Ubuntu is an out-of-the-container distro. You don't need to fix anything in it with the exception of the exclusive AMD Catalyst driver.

With Arch you begin with only summon line and need to download bundles and arrange them anything but rushed. Instatement require serious input relying on your download speed-as you are downloading bundles and arranging them on the fly. Finished outcome is-you just have things which you require. Nothing more and nothing less. Not a dissemination for fledglings in any case but it is the quickest Operating System around in view of its "no bloat" theory. The user encounter relies on which Desktop Environment you prefer to institute. I am utilizing GNOME 3 + Shell in the above screenshots. Some individuals favor KDE 4.7. Ubuntu utilizes GNOME 3 + Unity.