Thread: Funky aspect ratio in movies

Funky aspect ratio in movies

Hello friends I want to know here one thing I am having a Sony HDTV and I am loving my new LCD. But the thing here is that d that I don’t at all like the letterbox format on most of the movies. I'm still surprised why so many of the movies do appear in the letter box format Most of the novies movies appear so for the reason they are using a wide screen aspect ratio which is 2:35 : 1. The Television we are using is 16:9 TV's which is having an aspect ratio of 1.78 : 1 which cover up the the screen nicely. Many of the movies are 1.85 : 1 but they will still be filling the screen more accurately. So why a lot of films are shot on 2:35 – I guess doing that they make the movie viewing painful right?

Re: Funky aspect ratio in movies

I read an article from Wikipedia which was relevant to this topic, although that was quoted for lacking confirmation, but I guess that was is a very good point to begin with. Some of the grounds go all the way back to the invention of the film industry by Thomas Edison. Some of them were there because the director wanted it to be prior to making the film. And now, digital movie conception has put a whole other screw up into the mix.

What is the most frustrating thing is that to me is not so much that there are dissimilar kind of ARs, but that every feed appear to be encoded in a different way (on, say, Netflix). So, our typical viewing practice goes something weird. It is difficult for me to tell you that how many times I've asked for this wrong aspect ratio and tried searching through all the TV setting many times before choosing the most perfect one That is certainly annoying I tell you!.

This is simply because of the reason that directors have chosen that what format the movie is to be recorded and what ratio they have to be produced and published.

There are multiple reason for that. Since the majority of the films are framed to be released in the movie theaters and they are not targeted for the television sets, because 2.35:1 has become a very common standard prior to the existence of the new TV standards and since your new TV isn't that advance Sorry, but the aspect ratio of 16:9 is so last Tuesday. Sincerely, if those black bars are annoying you, then I guess you are having the lights in the room up that is probably too vivid. In a room where there is no light, black bars try to blend right.

No in fact this is not the black bars which actually is annoying me, it's probably the misuse of A LOT of screen in the real sense. And one thing here I would like to point out is that the profits from the theater release is hidden I guess and these profits are heavily improved by DVD sales. Am I right?

That’s I think is Fairly reasonable that you just have pointed out. If directors are looking for making their films for the purpose of filling the entire TV screen, They will be doing it in the ration of 4:3For the simple reason that 16:9 hasn't hit mainstream yet although I think it's close. Either way you're considering black bars And would you quite have the director film in the ratio of 4:3, Having said that it is the current dominance.

With television, DVD and Blu-ray, the conversion of the ratios that are not equal is attained by either zooming the real image by the similar aspect in both direction to cover up the getting format's display region and cutting off any surplus picture in sequence , by addition of horizontal mattes (also known as letterboxing) or vertical mattes (which is also known as pillar boxing) to retain the original format's aspect ratio, or (for TV and DVD) by stretching (hence distorting) the image to fill the receiving format's ratio, scale by dissimilar factors in both directions, perhaps scaling by a dissimilar factor in the center and at the edges.

I presume you ought to be happy that many of the directors are not shooting on anamorphic, cinemascope, or Cinerama lenses. Aspect ratio is an artistic choice. 2.35:1 looks stunning on a dynamic-AR screen and TVs will always be conciliation.

I am damn sure the vast majority of movie viewing is done on televisions, and from media like DVDs and BluRay and Netflix Streaming and what have you, all of that is irrelevant since the source material continues to be produced with theater screens/environments in mind, and likely always will be.

A few year ago I have came across the letter to the person responsible of one of those guides to Movies on TV, asking for them to list abbreviations like CS, WS, 4:3, whatever, to point out the unique format. Even though they have had list Black and White or color, they responded back that this will be taking up too much breathing space and nobody actually cared I guess, nevertheless. But after first the Laser disc was introduced and then DVD, people discovered that those wide screen versions really made a disparity, and only then VHS wide screen copies came along. Alas, perplexity still reign. May be that will be helping you out.