Thread: Is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 good choice for gaming computer

Is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 good choice for gaming computer

I am planning to purchase NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 for my Windows XP running desktop PC. Actually I am slowly getting into gaming and am developing a gaming computer for myself. I am looking forward to play high resolution games mostly. I am using a 1900x1200 Monitor screen to play the games. So I wanted to know whether the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 graphics card is good enough to play high resolution games in my system? Please help me in clearing my doubts. Thank you for any assistance.

Re: Is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 good choice for gaming computer

If you are planning to get the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 then something like a Corsair 600w is more then enough to support the card. As for OCing, I would recommend you to try using a processor which is faster but make sure that it comes within your budget. Also you should make sure that you have installed all the necessary updates in your computer system. Like you have installed the latest updated version of BIOS and also make sure that you have installed all the necessary drivers in your system.

According to me the Graphics card will be working perfectly fine and the by reading the specifications of the card I think that 12V rail will work very well when playing the game. But the performance while playing the game depends a lot on other factors like the amount of RAM you are using in your system. It also depends on the Motherboard and the processor you are using. A lot of performance depends on the Hardware and the software which is installed in your system.

You should know the number of amps that can be delivered by using 12V rails. Also you should find out at what temperature actually the Graphics card was tested. There are very few manufacturers who will actually disclose the temperature in which they are testing the Graphics card. But mostly the range is between 35 and 40 degree C. And logically thinking the PSU will be getting almost around 5-10 C hotter when they are placed inside the cabinet/cage.

Cheaper brands of Graphics card perform less as they are tested at a very low temperature like 20-25C. Thus they can perform well only in temperature around this temperature and starts malfunctioning as the temperature increases. This will just shorten the life of the Graphics card. Whereas in the case of costlier Graphics card, as they are tested in high temperature, their resistance power is even more, thus giving them better efficiency and better life span.

A complete computer system which has got GTX 460 installed in it, will draw mostly around 260 watts of power. You can add approximately around 60 more watts which will be consumed by the CPU. So, all in all the power consumption will be around 320watts by the entire system. Assuming that 90% of the power comes from the 12V rail, then most probably about 27A of power should be supplied constantly. As long as you are using a good brand product, 500W will work wonders but remember that if you are using a generic brand then you will surely regret the fact of using it later.

The Corsair 650W PSU is provided with the newest version of ATX and EPS 12v. It is 80+ Bronze certified, which indicates that the loss is less and also it has got a 140mm fan which is sufficiently capable of taking care of the heat. It is provided with two PCI-express connectors and the best part is that it comes with a 5 years warranty. Still if you are interested in purchasing something much more cheaper than this then you should go for the XFX core edition PRO 650W which will be costing you anything around $70(after mail-in rebate). It is almost like the Corsair except that it comes with only 3 years warranty.