Thread: What the ASUS HD 6950 BIOS switch do?

What the ASUS HD 6950 BIOS switch do?

I want to ask you people that what the 6950 BIOS switch accomplishes in fact. In my case, I have set that to the position 2 out of the box. I heard that this will flash the 6950s to 6970s. I am not able to understand anything regarding the extra shaders unlocked but what to do with the power as the 6970 is using the 8 pin connectors and kin case of the 6950, it is having the 6 pin connector. Please help me to understand that.

re: What the ASUS HD 6950 BIOS switch do?

I would like to tell you that it is having duel bios and therefore if you will flash one of them then it will revert you back to another. I would like to tell you that the IRC position 2 is the default and therefore it is not possible to you to flash that. And the Position 1 is made for flashing to 6970 specs. I hope that this will help you understand this. I hope that someone will reply with more explain words to make it more clear.

If you wish to flash that then you will have to raise the clock yourself. That 8 pin power connection that is there on the 6970 is more of a security as compared to the overall requirement. I am having the HD 6950 at the same time as a HD 6970, and although this meticulous one does not overclock well, it runs completely well at stock speeds through the two 6 pin connectors. You can search that on google and you will get more precise answer for this.

You can do a few stability tests at speeds of 6950 actions with shaders unlocked. If it works well and is ready to start OCing. You probably know the drill from that moment. Gradually increase the speed of the GPU and MEM seeing temps regardless. Find a comfortable place and put them in the CCC. I found the sweet spot for my cards is 870GPU 1375Memory. OC can be much higher, but the fans become evident to diminishing returns. I have one monitor and 1920x1200 with vsync enabled these speeds I can play all my games max eye candy and FPS remains pegged at 60 and never hear the fans at all. The cards run very cool at these speeds as well.

I have flashed the Asus 6970 bios in my case. If you see then you will get that there is a collection of the BIOS at tech powerup. What you have to do is just adjust your current BIOS that will lead to unlock the shaders and after that you will have to just increase the GPU volts. You can make use of the RBE to increase the GPU volts. I am doing that by this way and hope that you will also be able to do this without any problem.