Thread: How to upgrade video cards in a PowerMac G5

How to upgrade video cards in a PowerMac G5

I contain the original G5 1.8 GHz single processor. Yes, the one that was discontinued almost immediately in November 2003. I got the midrange video card at the occasion, which I consider is the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. I would like to bring up to date this card. That should help me get an additional 2-3 years out of this great machine. I consider at the time the high end video card was the 9800 Pro. I believe that has 128 mb. What else can I attach in there? I think I need the card to be AGP 8x Pro but I'm not sure. Of course, I would like to show off dual monitor capability.

Re: How to upgrade video cards in a PowerMac G5

Your machine can get hold of; GeForce: FX 5200 Ultra, 6800 GT and 6800 Ultra. Radeon: 9600, 9600 XT, 9650, X800 XT, X850 XT, 9800 Pro 128MB, 9800 Pro 256MB, 9800 XT. attractive much anything you find on NewEgg isn't going to employment. You have to have a Mac version of a video card. NewEgg has a few but they're all as of the ones, I listed above and they are specifically denoted as being Mac versions.

Yes, other than you have to make certain the $40 one is flash able to a Mac ROM there are some condensed ROMs floating around, because the Mac cards tend to have larger ROM files. That's still a $20 PC 9800 Pro. Why pay a $130 premium for someone else to flicker it for you? Flashing those ATI cards are a sure bet, should take less than 5 minutes. Check out TheMacElite. Also that has DVI/VGA. You require the Mac version of the 9800 which comes with DVI and ADC so you can dash your Cinema Display. The Mac version has a blue PCB board. PC versions come with the red PCB board.

If you are too nervous concerning flashing it physically then you can try eBay. There have been abundance of people who have sold flashed cards. If you go that way make sure you go with someone with a good representative though. I previously have a flashed NVIDIA 6800GT in my powermac G4, it was a taped card, but I found that the tape would put on out and I had to re-tape it double to keep it working. Finally the card just bit the dirt, only lasted me about a year. Right now I have a flashed Radeon 9800 that I got off eBay which have lasted me regarding 4-5 years so far.

Well all Mac cards cost a lot, the cheapest cards be the ones it shipped with which can be had for $20 - $60. If you don’t want to flash the cards you’re stuck between a rock and a hard position (no one makes cheap OS X graphics cards for your G5) that’s still a $20 PC 9800 Pro. Why pay a $130 premium for an important person else to flash it for you? Flashing those ATI cards are a cinch, should obtain less than 5 minutes. Check out TheMacElite. Also that has DVI/VGA. You need the Mac version of the 9800 which come with DVI and ADC so you can run your movies Display. The Mac version has a blue PCB board. PC versions come among the red PCB board.

So you can flash a certificate just by software? I'm reading on that site that you have to do it by taping or soldering and that's the part that scares me. I can always use my Dad's iMac in the house to control my computer if I can flash it through software. That'd be great! You should Change to your operating system or you be present supposed in the direction of buying new software. Which might causes conflicts by means of your video card or video card driver. If the producer of your video card has created a new driver, you might resolve the problem by installing it into your system. You might moreover upgrade the driver to acquire advantage of a new video format.