Thread: Which video card is efficient for 3D modeling and rendering?

Which video card is efficient for 3D modeling and rendering?

Hi, I'm architecture student and I'm buying a new PC. For now what we have is a Core i7 950 and 8 GB of RAM DDR3 1600, and I know that both are important for representation. What I would make is that the video card should I buy to work with various software such as AutoCAD 2011, 3D Studio Max, ZBrush, Adobe Photoshop CS5 and so on. I would also add is the reality that I live in Uruguay for the purchase of an Nvidia Quadro or ATI FirePro mean having to buy in the U.S. So please help.

Re: Which video card is efficient for 3D modeling and rendering?

Unfortunately for you, the Quadro and FirePro will be the cards you need. They are specially designed for these types of applications. Power wise, only the power required match on the card to any power source you want. I advise making sure to get a power supply quality branded, no shit without name. IE: Get a Corsair, OCZ, PC Power and cooling, thermal take, etc. Something that is proven in the industry.

Hey buddy just listen that there are many cards available in the market but see to it that you can take help of someone experienced. As you are spending huge amount it’s quite worth that you buy a card which is especially suitable for you. Even though work station cards are made for the purpose you want but a gaming card will work too. Considering viewports, it’s quite a real. You can have a try and see.

I always thought that Nvidia Quadro were the best for 3d modeling, that's why you can try for a video cards because here I can buy a GTX 460 or an ATI as for gaming cards. But from what I been reading in the Autodesk Forums they say that 4xx series of Nvidia GTX work poorly, with too many crashes. I don't think so that anyone would buy a video card that will end up not working. Well you can use them and see whether works well or not.

As per my knowledge I think so that gaming cards will work with modeling. I use gaming cards for my rigs, and I do a whole bunch of rendering and modeling on my spare time thus cards from the quadro and firepro series are designed for this. However they can be up to $4,000. If I were you, I would just get something like 3 way sli with GTX 480's. Good for gaming and rendering. Well just check it out it is quite a worth.

The main difference in workstation cards vs regular cards are the drivers. The extra money put into driver stability and other efficiency improvements for the programs that they are made for are really not worth the extra cost to nonprofessionals where you could just save money and get more performance for a regular card. You can buy any of them but take help of someone who is currently using anyone card.