Thread: Current Input Timing is Not Supported error for Dell ST2420L Monitor

Current Input Timing is Not Supported error for Dell ST2420L Monitor

I just purchased a Dell ST2420L monitor 2 days back and after plugging it with my pc for the first time by using DVI cable, I am getting the following error message:
    • "The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing to 1920x1080@60hz or any other monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications."

I go on to modify to the necessary resolution settings, by updating to the most recent video card drivers for my ATI Radeon X800 XL. Yet it did not work right away and it takes a only some times, turning the monitor ON and then OFF too prior to ultimately started to obtain the input from my PC/Video Card. But that was only up to sleep mode of my computer, as when try to wake up again, the same error message appeared again. I am using a Window 7 64bit operating system on my machine.

Re: Current Input Timing is Not Supported error for Dell ST2420L Monitor

I think you need to check that what your dell monitor is asking for as it might not be working with the DVI cable that you are using to connect it with the windows 7 computer system. In addition, It might be depending on the cable as well which must be capable of sending such amount of signals to provide perfect support. I think you should try using the HDMI cable which usually all the latest technology are using. So it might get worked for your monitor. But please make sure about the hdmi port on your monitor which i guess must be there.

First of all I suggest you to try booting your machine in the safe mode. Windows operating system has this beautiful booting mode which helps a lot when such problem occurs. I think your monitor must display something in the safe mode. You need to reboot your machine and then keep on pressing the F8 key which takes you to the Windows Booting mode where you can choose for the Safe Mode, Better you choose for the without Networking it is only concerned about the monitor.

First of I suggest you to check your monitor on some other computer system with the same cable just to confirm that it works with the same cable or not. By this you can eradicate one criteria from the list of causes for this issue. Then check safe mode which does not seems to be working for this kind errors displayed on monitor. I think you should try lowering your resolution and color settings on your machine which I guess will work.

First, you do not have to have both the DVI and VGA cables connected at the same time. It does not hurt, but the monitor input only use one or the other, and ignoring it is not used at the time. It does not hurt to have both connected. I have a pair of multi-input LCD monitors, and I have two inputs connected together. But my posts are coming from various computers and monitors that are using their own input switch to flip back and forth amongst different computers. I do this because this current KVM switch keyboard, video and mouse, DVI does not change. The resolution does not have to be identical among the entries, either. However, it only makes sense to provide a resolution for the monitor is the native resolution of the screen. In my case is 1920x1200, and my large monitor is 1680x1050 others, like yours.

However, it appears that you are using both a likely two, anyway. Or, are you saying that the sign of the resolution you are sending to your monitor is not the correct range of pixel wise (like 1680x1050), or the refresh rate is too slow, or more likely, too fast, pressure for the monitor. Try to see if you can set the refresh rate of 60Hz. 60Hz refresh rate is more support for LCD monitors. While 60 Hz is not the best tube-type monitors, as it can cause screen flicker (I can see, some people can not) or even headaches and eyestrain. However, LCD monitors, by its intrinsic lateness of the pixels transform, no you notice a screen flicker at 60Hz. Since it appears that you have chosen the correct HxV (1680x1050) "size" I estimate you can have the refresh rate than 60Hz. Not all LCD monitors will support 85 or 120Hz. Try to 60Hz and see if it works. This is a extremely irregular problem and I have no idea what causes it or what fixes it. At times just a simple switching of the monitor off and on does the trick, sometimes not. I have suggest you to updated to all the latest drivers (video card, monitor display, etc.)

It sure does make me think.

I started receiving the exact message after Christmas holidays - my monitor has been hooked up for two years plus. Everything checks out - except my windows 7 Updates. Once I restored my pre-Christmas image it stopped. After my auto updates downloaded the same three "updates" - it started again. Restored again - Okay, Auto updated again - it came back. I have been too busy and tired because of the post-holiday work rush to really sit down and look at the code. It is more an annoyance than a problem.

It seems that my Dell S2409W Monitor is attempting to recognize a DVI-D Cable instead of the HDMI cable I’ve been using for two years. I have two monitors running thru a Matrox PowerDesk Dualhead2Go splitter with two Dell AS500 Monitors turned so my screens appear to be a “tall” document. The two small Dell monitors are physically set side by side. For my usage, I just drag one paper to the top of the screen (left screen) and the other paper I’m working on to the bottom (right screen) to edit and compare.

I have not changed my system configuration or the physical setup, so my quickly made, before going to work (4:30 in the morning here) look - my initial take on the problem is it must be the updates. I will check back here later and see what you all on the forum think.

Oh yeah, I too am using Windows7 64 bit OS

For testing that all is working fine it is recommended that you disconnect the dual monitor and run windows on single. If there is no error, reconnect your monitor and adjust your screen resolution settings. Updating the display driver will be more better. The error is common when the display driver does not support the prescribed screen resolution.

Is dell monitor good? I've been using LG monitor for years and I need to change mine. is there any reviews on dell monitor, plz leave me a comment. thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by monitorgeek View Post
    Is dell monitor good? I've been using LG monitor for years and I need to change mine. is there any reviews on dell monitor, plz leave me a comment. thanx.
    Yes, I have been using 2 widescreen 20" Dells that I use with my computer for 3 years, one at home and one at office and it is working fine without any problems. If you have the budget with you then you can go with the Dell 2209WA is a 22" IPS panel for $460 (less if you can find a coupon or other discount such as an auto club code).
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly