Thread: 9800GT PhysX card with GeForce GTX 580, Overheating

9800GT PhysX card with GeForce GTX 580, Overheating

I newly built a fresh system with an Intel Core i5-2500K, 8GB of RAM, 850 W power, Gigabyte. I put a Cooler Master CM 690 advanced cases II, all along in the midst of my chief gpu Geforce GTX 580. I bought a single card slot cooler 9800GT 1 GB of VRAM, and he threw in the other PCI-Express slot that allows video cards. After running the team a few days, I realized that the heat was getting that the case was very high. I started to get my temperature closely. Yes, I have about five fans in that case and SB processor is cooled by a heat sink H50 Corsair. Monitoring programs showed that the temperature of my processor is idling around 35-40 Celsius, and the burden of about 60. My Geforce GTX 580 was idling approximately 49-52 degrees, the load on who knows what. however the 9800 was presently idle at 65 degrees! I applied thermal paste and heatsink said was right, and still remained the best component in my case. I tried with MSI Afterburner to decrease the frequency of every components of the card to observe if the temperature is inferior, but unluckily it did not. The card was significantly hotter the device in my case, and since heat rises and it is toward the bottom, I'm sure did not help the cooling of my other components. I decided that it was not worth keeping in the case. I own about 5 PhysX enabled games (Exit 13 is more or less). If I start to play forever, I'll think about popping in the 9800 I paid $ 50 on eBay. Otherwise, the card is out of the box and turns and increasing the temperature of my case and the environment. Story thought I'd share...TLDR; 9800 is too hot to hold if for only a few games of PhysX.

Re: 9800GT PhysX card with GeForce GTX 580, Overheating

Although I do not think this can be applied broadly to all 9800GT cards. The one I had stood around 44. That seems way to high idle, perhaps the diode is in poor condition and not reporting correctly, also there is a noticeable temperature difference with her in his case, unlike the case and if so by how much? If your small that I just sign up for a bad thermal read the card reporting.

When we say 49-52c idle is hot? I just saw my 570 and was idling at 62. I did some research on the same topic online and it seems that with two monitors of the card is not downclocked or something ... as soon as my second monitor off the cards and was reduced to 45 in less than a minute and still falling ... but this is really a bummer I always use the second monitor. I did some more research and this is very ironic ... Nvidia cards seem to have a problem falling into standby mode with two different monitors at different resolutions, as you can see here thanks to the representative of Nvidia ...

I am having a 9800GT 512MB (600/900 at first, overclocked to 650/1000) for PhysX is located at 49 ° C, while the maximum in the dnetc CUDA client. After a gap to the client for a few minutes, fell to 44 ° C now. With the stock cooler / BIOS, that would not go lower than 60 ° C. Also note that the chip temperature has little to do with the amount of heat that is putting out. The TDP indicates the amount of some electricity is converted to heat. The temperature of the chip only informs the amount of heat is still on the chip. As long as it is inside the restrictions of the card, there is no motive to try to get extra out of heat from the device and in the air. I am sure that the GTX580 is putting out much heat, it's probably just dump it in the fourth place where (or leaving it on the GPU).

9800GT temperatures devoid of the enormously hot temperatures are the similar for the CPU, 40 idle, 60 load ... so it does not actually change the temperature of the CPU. However, the GPU, which was an idle at 48-50, now it is idle in the region of 40-41. The 9800GT is a hot card, but probably does not help you, to keep in shape, I had to remove the outer wrapping of the heat sink on the card. May have helped to channel the air through the channel only when turned off. I could try to put it back and see what the differences are temporary at some point.

I did the same thing as I have purchased PhysX 9800GT a year ago. then I ended up turning around going sli with two 9800 GTX + i have to say informed temps is not bad really. Not only that, but tried a benchmark? try with a 9800GT you need a load of ur CPU. Test in 3DMark Vantage is capable of find out your CPU score with PhysX (9800) wil be running advanced than without it. atleast mine did 3dmark I found the score low CPU and I passed her and was dramatically increased. but since then I updated he got rid of the 9800GT and 9800GTX + was with ddr3 and 2 gtx460 all water cooled.