Thread: ATi 4850: Unable to control fan speed

ATi 4850: Unable to control fan speed

Hello everyone, I recently bought a new ATI graphics card MSI 45,850 brand and I cannot control the fan speed. Many have had this problem with a fan which remained at 20%, but the opposite me it is still stuck at 100%!
    Code:
    okanochiwa@ubuntu:~$ aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 20" PPLIB command execution is Successful! okanochiwa@ubuntu:~$ aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-gettemperature Adapter 0 - ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series Sensor 0: Temperature - 41.50 C okanochiwa@ubuntu:~$
    The command to control the fan speed returns successful, but this is not the case and it is still noisy! I installed the proprietary drivers through the drivers manager, and I always look for a solution (other than flash the bios of the graphics card). Thank you,

Re: ATi 4850: Unable to control fan speed

In a first time you will need to reconfigure xorg with the owner of ATI software, do that in your terminal. Once configured xorg restarts the pc you can control the speed with fanspeed. And remember one thing that you must change some values and not just click ok for example to change the resolution then you apply the new value and you return to the original value. Restart the PC after that.after doing this it will fix your issue I am sure about it.

I tried what you said but that did not work, I went directly to the site of AMD-ATI download the latest drivers, I redid the manipulation and the set fanspeed still does not work. I installed windows this weekend, and fan control does not work either. Yet I tested with RivaTuner, the Catalyst driver and ati tools. The worst is that even by flashing the card and configuring the speed according to temperature, the fan remains at 100%! So please help me in order to get rid me from this issue.

Hello all I take this post to do so by my concern. I have the same problem as meiko impossible to vary the speed of my fan. I have an ATI Radeon HD 4870 credits. (Amd is just writing on the printed circuit no brand builder style sapphire or other). Whatever the catalyst same error message:
    Code:
     koryu@Genome:~$ aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 40"PPLIB command execution has failed! ati_pplib_cmd: execute "set" failed!
    I say that I am under karmic koala and yet in kernel 2.6.32 and Catalyst 10.1. what could it be that the problem stems from the fact that it is a generic ati?

Hello everyone. Small precision for these cards (or at least the GS Gainward) Windows can not drop below 50%. we could with the old XP driver, but again, with win7 no longer allows it. is saying that it heats too ... But with RivaTuner, I can put it at 25% below win7, and is perfect for me. 48 ° C Can not we find an app that can handle this?? For the given command (aticonfig - pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 XX") is functional, but only 50 to 100! Otherwise, it is a mistake. What a shame! And my installation is fresh except the kernel. I think it comes into question because of the catalyst under Vista (Yeah I know shame on me ) No problem with the fan setting via Catalyst.