Thread: Replacing the Shroud of GTX 470 to new fan

Replacing the Shroud of GTX 470 to new fan

I m just wondering that anyone have removed the shroud of the GTX 470 graphic card. I have a gtx 470 graphic card assembled inside my computer. I want to remove the covering of the fan of the GTX470 graphic card and place it on the new fan. I want to increase my cooling performance of the graphic card so that is why I m trying to remove that and replace to the new fan. Does anyone had did this kind of stuff previously. Did the cooling performance have increase from that instance or it is remain as it is. So please reply anyone have experience this sort of thing.

Re: Replacing the Shroud of GTX 470 to new fan

Are you discussing regarding of putting a newer fan in the place of the original one or using an aftermarket cooling clarification? Innumerable people have perform aftermarket solutions on their home computer they got a huge success. The issue I observe with just placing a fan on there, though, is that you might obtain hotspots. The stock fan on the gtx470 is a blower, so it shift air tangent to the way the blades rotate, drawing air diagonally the entire card. Whereas what you're opinion of (or as i recognize it) is using a fan that drive air perpendicular to the direction of revolving the fan. That said, it's not exterior the realm of possibility.

I observed that you require powerful fan at least to increase the performance of the cooling system of the graphic card. Because the original fan of gtx 470 graphic card is kind of crap. It has many limitations regarding air flow control due to which the air does not flow properly from the graphic card. Due to which the graphic card heats up very frequently. So it is good choice to buy the new fan and I think that it will increase the performance.

For increasing heat sink performance you should replace the new fan to the original one. But it is quite irrelevant to remove the case of the original fan and to place it on the new one. I m not sure graphic card will work better and removing the case and put on the one. If you are doing this with the help of the technician then it is quite good. You may unaware how to replace it properly and place that whole damn case again on the new fan. So my suggestion is replace the new fan of course it will increase the cooling performance but don’t replace it by you.

If the fan is of similar model there will be not issue with the older shroud. You can fix the same. But if there is any other model fixed on the same then there will a bit tougher to get the exact shroud for the same. Those are single molded designs and shrouds are hard to find. You can leave the same open if you want there will not be much issue. All you need is wipe dust from the same.