Thread: System Freezing on GTX 460

Wahab4c Guest

System Freezing on GTX 460

I am facing issue with the drivers which I had installed on my system. I don't know why my system is freezing up. I had added a new GTX 460 gpu in my system. After that I had downloaded drivers from internet and run the setup. It does not work. When Windows came on welcome screen the system hangs. Nothing happens after that. I tried re-installing those drivers. Then after that I removed the gpu and used the cd which I got with the gpu. I run the setup even from there, but still there was no help at all. I think this card is not support on my system at all. But I check thoroughly my system specifications. It shows that the gpu will work well with no issue. I have some of my friends who are using the same card on their system and it works fine. I am not getting any clue why this does not shows any help on my system.

Re: System Freezing on GTX 460

Check that first the gpu is properly supported on the device manager. You can boot in safe mode and check that first. Go in the Control Panel and click on System. And then click on Hardware and click on Device Manager. In that navigate under Graphics. Look for your gpu and see whether it is installed or not. If found then right click on the same to update the driver. Do check that your gpu slots are functioning well. There is some issue with the slot also. Run a diagnostic program to test your system hardware. Mostly it is a hard ware issue. I think your current gpu is not working properly. Right click on the gpu and click on uninstall. The reboot and re-install the same back. It might work there mostly.

If you remove the drivers and fix them back that it is not possible that your system might start functioning properly. The issue can be also related to some hardware fault. Check that the card is placed properly. Shutdown the system and then disconnect the power supply. After that check all cables connected to the rear panel. Before proceeding, verify your dedicated power connector. See that it is connect properly or not. Also verify that your system need a good psu support for a gpu to work. Remove the screws holding your graphics card to the PC case, then push or unlock the lock at the rear of the PCI-Express or AGP. This will refit the card if it is lossen up. If there is a lack of psu support then that can be the cause of your freezing.

I will recommend you to remove and fix the card back again. I think the card is not fitted properly. First check that your card is connected properly with the psu outlet. Then carefully insert the card into the slot PCI Express / AGP pressing both hands, still without undue stress. Replace the screw and close the unit. As you reboot Windows will detect the new card and charge you the drivers. Click Cancel until the dialog box reappears over and a message appears telling you that a problem occurred during installation and the device may not function normally. Insert the driver CD that came with your card or the latest downloaded from the net. This is the standard procedure that follows for the gpu installation.

I think it is possible that your gpu firmware is outdated. Try to upgrade that. It is not easy to do that. You have to check for the various version of drivers that you will find on the internet. For instance try a older version of the gpu. Sometime a PC is equipped with an integrated circuit to the motherboard, you must first verify that a graphics port is free to entertain your card. If that is not supported or that doe not meets the minimum standard then you will face the similar difficulty. It is better you look for in depth specification for better system support. Check your ram also and other psu support. I think this issue looks with the power supply of the system.

The best thing you can check here is the power supply. Also check that while using the gpu your cpu is not heating up. When your system hangs on certain screen then that means some of the hardware in your system is not responding at a particular stage. If this happens a number of time, then remove the card and turned on your system. If Windows boot properly without any issue, then change your gpu. The graphic card is either damaged or very old to support your system. There can be various reason. You can also try to check the same on a different system.