Thread: HDMI overscan with ATI Radeon HD 3650 in ubuntu

HDMI overscan with ATI Radeon HD 3650 in ubuntu

I am having a dell computer where I run the ubuntu environment by the live CD, along with that the machine is configured with ATI Radeon HD3650, also using the HDMI for the video output, which is working fine. Mainly I installed windows vista in my machine. Having no separate hard drive to run the Ubuntu, that’s why using the live CD. The problem is that there are some CD are not giving output in my HDTV. I also tried the same disk in other windows platform machine, there it works fine. It sounds that the problem is regarding the Ubuntu environment. Is there anyone having any idea on this issue. What should I do?

Re: HDMI overscan with ATI Radeon HD 3650 in ubuntu

I don’t think this one is creating problem for the ubuntu, it sounds with the output device. First of all make sure that, the HDTV is properly configured with the graphical interface of your machine and correctly plugged in with the machine. I suggest you to reinsert the graphic card, and along with that I recommend you to update the graphics driver. For that I suggest you log on the machine in windows environment, but before that unplug the HDTV with the monitor and if there any other external device is attached with the computer. Now go to the properties window by right click on my computer and in the manage option look for the driver option, from the list select the graphics driver and right click on this, click on update, after update the driver reboot the machine and plug the HDTV and play the same CD which one you tried earlier. I hope this time it will definitely play in your machine.

Are you insert the good quality CD in your CD ROM drive. Try to play the same disk in other ROM drive in other machine, this is might be caused for the drive. Try with the other disk in the drive, if this one plays fine then be sure that the disk is not corrupted, there should be a problem in the CD/DVD ROM drive. Go to the manage option of your windows environment and check the driver is not flashing in the yellow or the red mark. There might be the issue with the cable that you are suing to connect with the monitor, change this one with a good quality of VGA cable.

I think the graphics driver that you using with the ubuntu is might not be supported, because the problem that you mentioned in your post is sounds as the graphics issue. I recommend you to download and install ATI Catalyst driver for ubuntu, which is I am using, and this works fine. I think the graphical interface that you are using is not properly configured with ubuntu environment, also might be you are using this one from the live CD, so this one also not support. Download and install the driver from the. I had the similar issue with my plasma TV which I am using for the video output, and this one also for the graphics driver. After a deep search in internet I got the driver which is compatible with ubuntu. You can able to download this form the ATI official web site. And remember that during the installation unplug the TV cable with the machine.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

I also like to suggest you to download the driver which is compatible with ubuntu platform, I also think the existing driver is not compatible with ubuntu. One of my friend having the same machine specification that you configure and he is using the separate driver for running ubuntu, he is using AMD ATI catalyst drive. To install the driver in your machine this need some package management tool like Synaptic, apt-get from the command line argument. You have to run some command as apt-get install dkms, which is for making the kernel modules for the installation. And the other one like dpkg-dev fakeroot debhelper, which is for providing necessary tools for the driver package. But be rember that while you are installing the driver you have to prevent Ubuntu, to access this one itself.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever