Thread: Acer 8371 resolution problem, black bar appears on either side of the window

Acer 8371 resolution problem, black bar appears on either side of the window

I am having resolution problem on Acer 8371 laptop. The problem is that I can see the black bars at the either side of the window and the Windows taskbar is completely unviewable. Even if I set the resolution to the lowest, I am unable to see the taskbar and I don't know why this is happening. I am under Windows 7 but I don't think this is creating the problem. The black bar even appears when I am in BIOS. Do you know what is this problem related to? Is it because of my internal graphics card or something else?

Re: Acer 8371 resolution problem, black bar appears on either side of the window

If you think your internal graphics card is creating the problem then why don't you try out downloading the drivers for it? This should tell you what is the cause of the problem. Moreover if you want then you can even try out connecting the laptop with an external monitor to check out the problem continues with it or not. If it is then certainly there is something other than the screen causing you the trouble. But if it isn't then the screen or the graphics card is the culprit which you have to look after.

Re: Acer 8371 resolution problem, black bar appears on either side of the window

I don't think this is related to the driver, and by the way I already have installed the latest drivers on the computer. So this shouldn't be the cause of the problem. And how can a driver can affect the BIOS screen? Drivers are required to support an operating system but not the BIOS. I don't have any recovery disc and this hurts me a lot. Otherwise I would have reinstall Windows once and found out the cause of the problem. Is there any tool or utility which can sort out this problem for me without my concerned? I would prefer to have such software which doesn't require my attention and get the solution which I require at the end.

Your problem seems to be similar to mine and I bet I can solve your problem within few minutes. There is no point in installing the driver or performing system restore since this problem is not related to Windows. I had a similar problem once upon a time and this is how I solved the problem. I went to sis website and downloaded the latest driver from them. I installed it on your computer. If you are not sure about the driver which you must install then you can even use the autodetection feature which will suggest you which one best suits to your computer. Don't worry about this feature since it is safe and will not infect your system.

I had a friend who had used Acer laptop and faced a similar kind of problem. After a lot of fiddling, he came to know lastly that laptop was made for HD display and it will not work in smaller screens. May be you are having a similar model of Acer with you. The retailer from whom I bought the laptop also said that this is the reason why I am not getting the proper display. I also asked him to take the laptop and return my money but he said that is not possible. However, he included that if I really wants to change the laptop then I can do but I have to purchase some other model of laptop from him. That is what I have to do at the end.