Thread: Is my graphics card performing upto mark ?

Is my graphics card performing upto mark ?

I am running Windows 7 on a Thinkpad R61 wid a T7100 processor (Core2Duo with 1.80 GHz). My graphics card is Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M. I found that the Windows 7 animations were not upto the mark. (slightly framy window minimization animation and such). The planar of my laptop was changed a day back owing to sound jack issues.

I ran 3Dmark05 to test the graphics and the results were very low (2122 3D marks) as compared to the test ratings posted at notebookcheck.net for NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M.4216.0.

My system is slightly better than the test system with 3GB of RAM. Is the graphics performance low due to Windows 7? Or should I ask the laptop manufacturer to re-look at the graphics ?

Thanks in advance
    Harish

Re: Is my graphics card performing upto mark ?

How much ram do you have in your laptop? This has been an issue with the Windows 7, many users have sent severral bug reports to Microsoft that the drivers for NVidia Quadro NVS 120M were not stable. All drivers that have been published show these performance problems with Aero. In any case you can try the below one line script to restart the dwm.exe process. Once this occurs, Windows 7 Aero performance increases to what it should be.

the command is as follows:
    taskkill /IM dwm.exe

I have 3Gb RAM installed. I tried running the command but saw no significant improvement. Infact, the transitions and animations run smoothly in between (used to run before too) but then they become framy again.

Actually the ThinkPad nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M are defective ones, because it uses one of the defective cores. The 140m quadro uses a G86m core, which is one of the defective cores in question. There you are tend to get consistent display problems with the screen suddenly going green and so on, if it is in warranty then try to replace it. If you can read some news about the faulty GPU's from nvidia, you will come to know.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly