Thread: ATI Catalyst 10.6 crashes during 3D games

ATI Catalyst 10.6 crashes during 3D games

I downloaded and installed ATI Catalyst 10.6 yesterday. But I could not play any 3D games. The game either hangs or crashes or sometimes results me with the display driver error as soon as I start the game. I tried to roll back the drivers and installed the older version of ATI Catalyst, I the problem disappears. I think there is some major bug with ATI Catalyst 10.6 released recently. I am running Windows 7 64 bit on my computer. My system specs includes Intel Core i7, Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard, Kingston 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 5870.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: ATI Catalyst 10.6 crashes during 3D games

I think there are lot of people who are having a lot of problems with new release of ATI Catalyst (10.6 version). I have came across a lot of people recently who had faced such kind of problems. Even I had experienced the problems with ATI Catalyst but during the installation process itself. It crashed my computer with blue screen of death. I hope AMD is aware of this and will soon release some patch or fix for the same.

Yeah, even I had thought of the same and so posted here just to know if I am not the only one to get this kind of problem. At first, I thought that I might had missed something which is causing me this problem but since I had seen a lot of people having innumerable problems with the latest version of ATI Catalyst now I am sure that we should wait for AMD's response in this matter.

I don't think there is any kind of glitch with ATI Catalyst 10.6 drivers. I have been using it since the release date and never had any kind of problems. In my case, I have always been upgrading my ATI Catalyst version from 10.1, then 10.2, ... , and recently did the same from 10.5 to 10.6. I always overwrite then and never done un-installation of anything. Even I am on Windows 7 64 bit.

That's sounds great that you have ATI Catalyst 10.6 drivers running on your computer but it doesn't help me at all. The only feature of this driver that I have noticed until now is that it does not uses all of my GPUs of the graphics card. I have seen this in lots of games such as Crysis 2, Resident Evil 5, Far Cry 2, Counter Strike Source etc. The same thing happens in every games. So this clearly states that it is not related to a particular game.