Thread: What's a safe temperature for ATI 5870?

What's a safe temperature for ATI 5870?

Hello there, I have a desktop computer which is running on Windows Xp. The computer is having an ATI Radeon 5870 graphic card installed on it. The problem is while playing any game, the performance of the computer falls after sometime and I suspect that it is due to overheating of the graphic card. Hence I want to know What's a safe temperature for the ATI 5870? Any suggestions about the topic are more than welcome. Also how do I monitor the working temperature of the graphic card?

Re: What's a safe temperature for ATI 5870?

There are many applications available which help in monitoring the performance of the graphic card. MSI afterburner is one of the application which can be used for monitoring the performance of the graphic card. You can download the application from the official website of MSI and install it on the computer.

Before blaming the bad performance of the computer on the graphic card, check if there are any extra processes running on the computer while playing the game. If there are lot of processes running on the computer while playing the game then the game will lag. Before starting the game on the computer, open the task manager and terminate all the processes which are unwanted. Check if the performance of the game improves while playing or not.

The official working temperature is about 40 degrees when idle and 60 to 65 degrees when fully loaded but this temperature depends on the environment in which the computer is working. The temperature can be more or less depending the humidity of the environment. Also the cooling solutions which are implemented on the computer. Whats your running temperature of the GPU's?

The graphic card which I am using is running on the constant temperature of 75 degrees which I think is too hot as compared to the official temperatures which you have mentioned. So how can I reduce the working temperature of the graphic card? Do I have to install any new hardware on the computer? Please suggest some solutions.

There are different cooling solutions which can be applied for keeping the temperature of the graphic card low. If the graphic card has not enough airflow on the motherboard, then you can make use of the riser cards which help in rising the level of the graphic card from its slot, thus improving the airflow to the graphic card. If the airflow is good then the graphic card will get heated less.

Adding an extra cooling fan will always help. Check if the SMPS and cabinet of the computer supports the extra cooling fan. If both SMPS and the cabinet supports the extra cooling fan then add it to the computer which will help in keeping all the internal components at low temperature.