Thread: Catalyst 10.4 drivers for 2D issue

Catalyst 10.4 drivers for 2D issue

According to our info 2D performance, or to be precise a lack thereof on AMD's HD 5000 series cards should be fixed with the upcoming ATI Catalyst 10.4 drivers and that the problem is actually driver based.

You may already heard that HD 5000 series has serious problems when it comes to 2D power, and that even some integrated solutions are doing much better than, for example a $300 HD 5870 card. The problem is being fixed and AMD promises that the fix should come with a Catalyst 10.4 driver.
    Just a head sup for those users who are running with slowdown with 2D in PCSX2. It probably describes that why I can not feel to get 60FPS in Valkyrie Profile 2's main menu but get 60FPS otherwise.

If you would move to think some advance functionality related to the driver and other components for the display then you would find that 2D in PCSX2 is actually rendered with Direct3D/OpenGL. It doesn't contain anything to do with slowdowns in game menus, if you find them then you need to disable the 8-bit textures in GSdx... The tell me what you are getting means which type of effects are being displayed there...

OK, this is the good thing for us to know that at least ATI is now getting up with NVIDIA in terms of driver release frequency, though their driver QC team is still going down with the issues that in my scenario is the frequent random crashes (BSOD) occurred by ATI driver, both 10.2 and 10.3a entire with a fresh and clean installation after a DriverSweeper...

Thanks

Very interesting thing you said. I have just updated to 10.3? According to me , it is occurred by my BFBC2 game mini map to have black fog of war requires patches in a grid such as formation. Also, made my steam overlay properly f'd up. But the complexity is that I am unable read a word tagged on it.

So I performed the uninstallation and rolled back to the beta of 10.3, and it is going much well now. I have no idea why it is going on, but I figured out that I uninstalled 10.3 two times and even re-downloaded it and still had that problem .

This is not the "2D" in the purse sense -- what the drivers getting failed to accommodate is primitive geometry (lines, circles -- and a lot of things that are not textures).

This is used by Windows to render sections of window frames and stuff, for example. It happens because most latest games executes well on the recent drivers; they applied textures for everything. There are number of previous games would use geometric primitives for considering such as HUD outlines or in-game properties (shadows, wireframes, field of view cones, etc).

This describes the Diablo 2 issue, since D2 likely used line primitives for a number of interface components, and likely for shadows and fog-of-war stuff too (old hardware benefited from using untextured geometry..