Thread: MythTV VDPAU

MythTV VDPAU

Hello everyone,
    I have given an assignment on the MythTV VDPAU. Before searching on Internet I thought that asking to you members would be useful since you provide an appropriate solutions. So please explain me with the detailed information about the MythTV VDPAU. I also think that Myth's CPU use is pretty much comparable to MPlayers with VDPAU. Hoping that someone would help me soon.!!
    Last edited by Flaco; 20-04-2010 at 11:13 PM.
    Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it.-- Max Frisch 1911 -1991

Re: MythTV VDPAU

VDPAU (Video Decode and Display API for Unix) is a library of open source (libvdpau) and API originally designed by NVIDIA for the series GeForce 8 and GPU more advanced led to the X Window System in systems Unix - systems including Linux , FreeBSD and Solaris. This API allows programs to download video VDPAU parts of the process of video decoding and video post processing of the GPU for video-hardware. VDPAU can be described as the equivalent of the X Window System Microsoft 's DXVA (DirectX Video Acceleration) API for Windows.

Nvidia released VDPAU, which means V ideo D and P resentation Ecode for L inux A pi, which allows the decoding of H.264, WMV3 and several high-definition formats directly on the GPU. This means that in the tests, an AMD Sempron, which was unable to play content in 1080i, now stays below 10% usage, thanks to technology from Nvidia playing 1080p High Definition. When we came up with the H2BOX clear that we needed a dual-core processor to offer HD content playback at 1080p of acceptable quality, as there was no technology to support this type of decoding in Linux.

MythTV is a Free Open Source software digital video recorder (DVR) project in distributed under the Terms of the GNU GPL. It has-been under heavy Development Since 2002, and now contains most features one would expect from a good DVR. The second Release Candidate for MythTV 0.23 is now available. Important changed since the last RC include :
    • Several crash fixes
    • Many new and updated translations
    • Seeking Fix in Some recorders in LiveTV
    • Theme fixes

I think that you should also know about the Theming MythTV Competition. With the release of MythTV 0.22, theme authors Have Their Powerful new tools in hands to mold the MythTV interface as They See Fit. These are an overview of the changes in the 0.23 release of MythTV. Some of these changes, most notably the fixes, have been backported to the 0.22-fixes release. The following are the new features of MythTV :
    • Rewritten and greatly expanded python bindings
    • Addition of Arclight Theme
    • New event system
    • Rewritten audio (simplified configuration, multi-channels upmixing, automatic resampling).
    • Addition of MythNetvision Plugin

Vdpau is however preliminary, so there are currently some limitations that will be corrected with future versions of drivers. Also, only the maps based VP2 engine is currently functional (8200/8300 geForce chipset, GPU-based G9x and GTX 260/280), VC-1 decoding requires the use of the GeForce 9200 GS and 9300. Linux users will be pleased to hear that the engine decoding H.264, VC-1 and MPEG-2 is now functional with the 180.06 beta drivers installed. These drivers also offer features interlacing, inverse telecine and noise reduction video. Decoding H.264 streams simultaneously 2 is also absent, note that this option is only available on Blu-ray (BonusView) that are not supported by video playback software, mainly because of the problem HDCP.