Thread: Can you use two nVidia cards under Linux?

Can you use two nVidia cards under Linux?

I am building the new desktop computer system and planning to install one of the linux operating system. Most probably the Ubuntu operating system. I want to know that can we use the two Nvidia graphic card in the linux operating system. Because my old system is also having the graphic card. So i want to know that the can you use two nVidia cards under Linux.

Re: Can you use two nVidia cards under Linux?

You are planning to build the new desktop for yourself and you want to install the Ubuntu operating system in your coming desktop computer system. You want to know that you can use two graphic card in your system having the Linux operating system or not. I think you can use more than one graphic card in the single system but only in the Windows operating system.

Well, I have heard and read about using the two graphic cards in the Microsoft's Windows operating system like Windows XP and Windows Vista but i have never heard and read about using the two graphic cards in the system having the Ubuntu operating system or any other linux based operating system. So according to me you cannot do this in your system having the Ubuntu operating system.

I think you can use two graphic cards at a time in the computer system having the Ubuntu operating system. For that you will have to install the graphic cards and also the compatible drivers for them in the Computer system having the Ubuntu operating system. I have not tried it, but hope that it will work so you can try it out. Provided that your motherboard should have the two graphic card PCIE slots available.

I want to know that the can AGP and the pci graphic card will work in the single computer system having the Ubuntu operating system. Because my old computer system has the AGP card. I have not tried it yet and wanted to confirm it before trying out in my desktop system. So if anyone knows the details and if any one is already done it then reply back over here.

I dont think so there should be any issue or problem in using the AGP and the PCI graphic card in your system having the Ubuntu operating system at the same time but before doing that you will need to modify the your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in your system by yourself manually. After that both the AGP and the PCI graphic card will work properly in your desktop with the Ubuntu operating system.