Thread: Eyefinity without monitor display port

Eyefinity without monitor display port

I bought an ATI HD 5970 cards and 3 Acer 24" 1920x1080 monitors to run Eyefinity. But so is the dilemma, I have no display port supported screen as only 2 of the screens are supported.

Someone who knows whether there is an active DP to DVI adapter on the market, or if I need to order from abroad? Have heard rumors that the DP to VGA adapter works, but how well? Is the display port supported monitors that have 1920x1080 resolution (16:9) and not 1920x1200 (16:10)? It says so much about this yet.

And one last thing. Because there are 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 DVI input on the card, it can then work to use the Matrox DualHead2Go in a Dvi port. So to run 2 displays the DualHead2Go and 1 in the second DVI ports?

re: Eyefinity without monitor display port

Can not you use an HDMI <-> DVI adapter for the 3 screen then? This is strictly the same signals in different cables. Or is it that the 3 monitor MUST be DP?

Re: Eyefinity without monitor display port

Yep, one of the 3 screens to use MUST be DisplayPort. My only advice is that you can try to get one of Apple's adapters, either from DVI to HDMI or DVI to DVI / VGA.

Dell also has an adapter that works, and that transfers "active" (Do not know more than that). To both DVI and HDMI. Yes this is somewhat expensive, but it is one of the few that actually works.

Why must they certainly include the DP? Is it because almost anything can use the DP, or have I missed something? You can connect 3 monitors to such a card without using DP? And just drop the EC, and seemed to only have 3 monitors with extended desktop which we used in the "old days"?

As far as I understand it is required DP to EC, and not necessarily to use 3 monitors? EF is the only technology that lets you get one big screen (in a way ...).

I do not understand what you mean but if you connect three screens to one of the new 58xx or 5970 video cards you have to use the DP for one of the screens. (either HDMI + DVI or DVIx2 for the other). Eyefinity's gaming over 3 monitors (at least what I understand), and therefore you have to connect it to ATI that describes it. But when you get no Eyefinity experience, and you can only game DX11 games on the two screens that are connected in 5xxx card (Sounds most logical to me at least).

You need to use 2x DVI + DP. The reason is that HDMI is shared with one DVI port. Therefore, it is unfortunately not possible to use 2x dvi and hdmi.

5870 has basically only 3 signal outputs. 1x DVI, 1x DVI / HDMI and 1x DP.
    5970 has 2x DVI and 1x mini DP.

Dell adapter is a possibility. But remember that many have problems with this adapter and Apple's. I have Dell adapter and struggling with sync problems. The screen loses contact with the video card through the adapter. If this is your video card, drivers, screens or adapter I have no idea. I managed to buy the adapter from dell bearing a fair price. Does not seem that many others have managed this.

5970 also has a mini display port output. So you must have a transition from this to the regular display port whether to use adapter (easy to remember if you first order adapter).