Thread: Radeon HD 4000 series OpenCL problems

Radeon HD 4000 series OpenCL problems

hi
    recently i have read about Radeon HD 4000 series OpenCL problems on techreport where they said it is related to the kernel and what OpenCL features we are using well There are several approaches to use general purpose computations on GPUs NVIDIA developed using CUDA and pushes with their video architecture, while ATI is oriented application environments that are independent of the type of video architecture is used, suggesting OpenCL DirectCompute and which areas of reference. Obviously NVIDIA also supports, along with CUDA, or OpenCL is DirectCompute. i want to know more from you guys about this so please reply.

Re: Radeon HD 4000 series OpenCL problems

The video architecture DirectX 10 and later are eligible to be used those as the starting point for the development of code suitable to parallel processing. The series of solutions ATI Radeon HD 4000, however, seems unable to make the best with OpenCL potential theoretical framework of the GPU and the same framework because of limitations.

From my tests with 9800 GT and G92 on DirectCompute Benchmark 0.35 (which also supports OpenCL as API) I have not seen problems ..... you might think of adopting it .

OpenCL cmq The driver should go through the CUDA driver (that is, just compare the size of the two libraries, the first is 70 KB, the second almost 4 MB) by some kind of tunneling / wrapping the API, but I have to inform well about this, if so then there must be performance issues related all OpenCL on all NVIDIA> G80.

In partnership with NVIDIA, OpenCL was submitted to Khronos by Apple in the summer of 2008 with the goal of forging a cross platform environment for GPU computing. NVIDIA OpenCL chairs the working group with direct support from SW NVIDIA's engineering team. see this http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_opencl.html

This is entirely dependent on how you coded the kernel and what features you are OpenCL using. There are known performance issues for HD4XXX series of cards on OpenCL and there is currently no plan to focus exclusively on improving performance for that family. The HD4XXX series was not designed for OpenCL HD5XXX whereas the series was. There will be performance improvements on this series Because of improvements in the HD5XXX series, so it will get better, but it is not our focus.

The performance limits are then known, related to the time difference that separates development of architectures Radeon HD 4000 from the definition of OpenCL the solutions Radeon HD 5000 in this sense does not suffer from limitations, implementing OpenCL full support in hardware. It remains to be seen whether a limitation of this type can also target the first generation of NVIDIA-based architecture DirectX 10 GeForce 8000 and 9000, while for solutions based on next GT200 architecture seems there are limitations.

Then i do not understand why a card based on rv770/rv790 should have no problems while a 5750/5770 when the architecture is virtually the same and the chip also where in discussion on the AMD site dedicated to developers, highlights some performance limits of the Radeon HD 4800 series execution of code OpenCL. A response from a compiler engineer at AMD highlights the limitations of the architectures Radeon HD 4000 series of running OpenCL applications, when used some of the features implemented in OpenCL.