Thread: What type of key is this for an AGP

What type of key is this for an AGP

Hello, I have an older (bios 2003) system that has an AGP. It is a 2X/4X slot and I am wondering if it is keyed as a 2.0 or 3.0 compliant slot? The card is keyed with two blocks (one block smaller than the other). I ask because in my search of the net I have seen some AGP cards that have three blocks rather than the two on my card. Is this the way to tell if my card is limited at 2.0 compliancy?

The whole reason for asking is that I burned up the supplied Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 128MB 4X card and I would like to replace it. The problem being of course trying to find something that is neither expensive nor something that will quickly burn up or do damage to our system and I am having a hard time picking out a card since almost all that are sold now are 8X cards and I am trying to figure out if any would be backwards compatible. Plus I wasn't sure about that extra block on cards I have seen and assume I would have to buy a card that is keyed the same as mine.

I am looking for something with VGA/DVI/TV out for apps and some gaming (MS Flight Sim was choppy and tried a demo of Bio..something and was extremely choppy)
    The screen is an LG w2252 VGA/DVI.
    The system is a p4 2.4Ghz w/1.5GB RAM and a 400W PSU with decent rails (would be happy to post spec's if needed).

Just in case I have a 2.0 AGP would there be any suggestions for a card? Trying to find something while sales are still running.

Should you need any further information please let me know and thank you much!

Take care,
    Mumford68

Re: What type of key is this for an AGP

AGP is a high-performance interconnect between the core-logic chipset and the graphics controller for enhanced graphics performance for 3D applications.It is important to check voltage compatibility as some cards incorrectly have dual notches and some motherboards incorrectly have fully open slots. AGP relieves the graphics bottleneck by adding a dedicated high-speed interface directly between the chipset and the graphics controller. If you want, you can check out the following link. Hope so. it may resolve your above issue.