Thread: Difference in Power Consumption between Nvidia and Ion

Difference in Power Consumption between Nvidia and Ion

Hi,
    I have a question regarding the new Ion2 GPU platform. Does this differs in power consumption as compare to other processors. If yes then post some relevant explanation on the same. Also I need some features and technical spec about the GPU type. Here the GPU is more finely engraved (40nm cons 55nm) but the number of shaders is doubled (32 against 16). What I had noticed that if I increase number of shaders then there is a increases power consumption. So this keeps on rising. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Difference in Power Consumption between Nvidia and Ion

Here this depends on the system which you are using. It is a better technology but every better hardware needs a system resource to run the applications. I my case when the print goes from 55nm to 40nm structure without changing the GPU, it will indeed consume less, logically, 27% less. So you must have more knowledge about the processor consumption and by this you can identify the difference in power consumption.

Nvidia platform Ion 2, successor to the current equipment has revolutionized both low cost and performance in multimedia field. Then Ion 2 Nvidia platform will be more powerful and capable with other low power processors such as the Via Nano, which could gain ground in the field of low-cost equipment with this extra help. There is no doubt that this processor does not consume much power as compare to others.

The chipset from Nvidia has a smaller die of silicon - which will make the device more compact for netbook's - and offer twice as many units of shader given by GeForce GPU 9400M integrated in the first Ion (which has 16). This improvement will result into higher performance in 3D rendering, for the benefit of the Games. An increase in 3D performance does not seem to bring great advantages over other laptops in this class, especially considering that the current Ion is already fully capable of supporting graphical user interfaces of Windows Vista and Seven and playback of Full HD video.

The best part here is that if offers you double shaders. Technically the GPU is far superior as compare to others. It is small and compatible. It offers more improved performance for the 3D rendering applications. This would primarily improve gaming performance and the performance CUDA applications. Based on what part of the architecture of the graphics Ion 2 is, either the old or the newer G9x-GT200 architecture that is still open.

If you planning to get a ION2 based GPU then I will recommend you to get a 600W Power Supply for safe and stable power to your computer. The gpu consumes power and it is necessary for the stability. In my opinions that it should work better, ION2 will be further enhanced in the performance of the GPU. Ion2 built on latest technology offers you a much better platform for 3D applications and games.