Thread: ATI Catalyst driver Linux Kernel Support

ATI Catalyst driver Linux Kernel Support

Hi,
    Recently on news over the internet I read that AMD had now provided a new version of ATI Catalyst drivers which now supports Linux. Is this correct. If yes then I have a PC that has Ubuntu in it. So here I can use my ATI card in the Ubuntu pc also. The most I know is that Catalyst does not function properly on Linux. Now this update can be helpful. If the update is available then does it works fine on Linux. Has anyone tried it yet. Linux has completely different architecture. I worry weather this works or not.

Re: ATI Catalyst driver Linux Kernel Support

ATI Catalsyt is a powerful graphic accelerator for ATI cards. The softwaer gives and awesome control over the visual quality and performance of ATI Radeon GPU's. The application is certified by Microsoft and it compatible with now multiple platforms. The new ATI Catalyst 9.8 finally supports the new kernel in Linux. Before this there were not update available for this application. It was released in March and now AMD had also provided a new update. You have to download the newer version from the official site of AMD.

That is true. The new version of ATI Catalyst has a support for Linux Kernel. It has some fixed up issues and now it also support a wide range of OpenGL extensions. A test version is been released but I am not sure about the official version of the same. By this new update you can install a ATI Radeon GPU on a Linux machine and enjoy gaming and media center services. At the same time AMD has also released Linux 2.6.30 kernel support. Both new updates are available for free download on AMD site.

The new Linux support driver is designed to support a wide range of ATI cards. Some of them are ATI FirePro V series, ATI FireGL X Series, ATI FireGLV5100 ATI FireMV™ 2200, ATI Mobility Radeon series and Xpress series. It is supports all type of newer ATI Radeon cards. That means you can now add up a GPU in your Linux machine also. The thing you have to note down that ATI Radeon HD 3870X2 is not compatible with the new driver. Before installing the new ATI Catalys Linux software suite you will need Xorg, Linux Kernel 2.6 and higher, glibc version 2.2 or 2.3 and POSIX Shared Memory. For getting best performance you will need a Kernal module environment, source code of Kernel and RPM service. If you does not full fill the requirement you can face some issues.