Thread: Nvidia Geforce GTX 295 and disable on-board graphics

Nvidia Geforce GTX 295 and disable on-board graphics

hi,
    As it says in the title I need help disabling the on board graphics of my motherboard, im trying to install a Geforce GTX 295 graphics card but it wont reconize it in the device manager or install its drivers from the cd or nvidia main website. What should i do?Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Nvidia Geforce GTX 295 and disable on-board graphics

Definitely sounds like a driver issue.

I would download the latest Nvidia drivers for your card and update your drivers on your card and then load up the latest directx again. Make sure the drivers you download are for your operating system (vista? from the looks of it).

If you have graphics drivers installed at this point, uninstall all of them. Use Add/Remove to be sure they are all gone and then these tools (at least one of them) to remove any remnants:

Also, take a look at your manual to see if there is a jumper on the board for disabling on-board graphics.

"The onboard graphics, built onto your motherboard is an AGP class video solution. The PCI card you bought is PCI architecture, older than AGP, less performance than AGP, so using that PCI card will be SLOWER."

Is he right? How can I check? Before I bought the card, I checked my old card's properties in the device manager and it said it was PCI.

You may also need to go into the BIOS setup and disable the on-board graphics, though often times this is disabled automatically when you fit an alternative graphics controller. Best to check the BIOS though.

After checking the BIOS and saving any changes, switch off. Move the monitor plug from on-board to ATI port, reboot. Windows will use it's own basic driver until you get nvidia driver installed.