Thread: GeForce GTX 260 freezes

GeForce GTX 260 freezes

Hello,

had me a XFX Black Edition 260GTX purchased. I have only the problem that my PC now and then freezes when I have something games -> pink or green screen. Bluescreens or graphic errors are not the case.

I've checked the temperature: When the computer is frozen, the GPU is 88 ° C (Crysis demo). After a reboot Try again -> constant 77 ° without any problems.

I measured with SpeedFan. Latest drivers (not beta) are also out.

Do you have an idea why the card is already at 88 ° C causes a problem? I once read that only when it 105 ° off.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Idle Temp: ca. 50°C EDIT: Idle Temp: 50 ° C

Re: XFX GTX 260 freezes

Have you loaded the latest drivers from NVIDIA ?

RAM check at Freezes always come first. Games demand the RAM strong, weak as sharp timing, the lack of tension can quickly make themselves felt.

True, a few more to your system, such as drivers, operating system, power supply brand / watt would already make sense.

For me, I have the problem sporadic Freezes (picture freezes, sound usually goes on, no bluescreens or massive graphics error => error message that the display drivers nv4disp.dll no longer function normally ...) with the replacement of the power supply solved.

My BeQuiet Straight Power 550Watt has probably seen playing at the vault made (with the 8800GTX went's 2 years without problems), sometimes after 5 minutes Crysis, sometimes only after 1-2 hours. Then came a BeQuiet Dark Power 550Watt Power purely for testing, same problem. Because of the frequent problems between BQ and GTX260/280 be heard, I have a strong power of a full-borrowed from another manufacturer.

Now with a built-loan Enermax 720Watt go for a day with the new XFX GTX260 Black Edition without Freezes or crashes. It should be a brand 550Watt PSU really enough, but apparently, depending on the PC configuration not.

What can of course also is a Monday that you've caught model that is not the promised speeds can hold, and the XFX is overclocked not negligible. So just clock down, possibly to the reference clock speeds, and then try.

88 degrees are also not without. The fan controller I tried the card at 80 degrees and is very loud. Of 88 degrees should be good for the fans already have a small turbine be?

Re: GeForce GTX 260 freezes

I've battled my XFX260 BE's for years and the only thing that worked was down clocking and raising the fan speeds until now. To fix your cards and get them running at the proper factory clocks of 666 with the fan speed set to auto-control requires lowering the voltage within the BIOS of the cards by flashing the BIOS of each of them. M@NH@X has posted the instructions in this thread which I have verified work:

You may need to look up other instructions for more details on flashing your cards as I did, but after I was done, I ran my cards for 2 hours straight at factory defaults and they did not hiccup once. Normally at factory defaults they would crash after about 2 to 15 minutes of gameplay.

This is the only true fix as I've already tried everything with drivers, formatting, RMA's with XFX, new memory, new PSU, etc.