Thread: Monitor won't display at start up

Monitor won't display at start up

hi,

I recently purchased a G3 Power Mac / 300Mhz,ATI Radeon 2600 graphics card, Acer X183H b 18.5" Widescreen LCD Monitor. when I boot the primary monitor does not show the startup screen.I don’t think that it is a virus that is the source of this as I have made several scans before.The best way to recover is to switch off the monitor, unplug the video lead, reconnect and switch on againCan a monitor be incompatible with a graphics card?

Is there anyone who have experienced this or have any ideas what might be causing this problem. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Monitor won't display at start up

hi,
    Some monitors have mechanical relays that you can hear switching on or off while booting or shutting down, some don't - that's normal, and if your computer and display are working normally, you tend to become used to hearing that if applicable and you tend to ignore it.

"This started after I reinstalled Windows on a new hard disk."

If you hear your monitor clicking when it didn't before after loading your operating system from scratch, something has changed.

Sometimes your video adapter doesn't detect the monitor properly when you first boot.

hi,
    Try re-seating the video cable. Try another monitor on this computer if you have one available. Try this monitor on another computer. That will narrow down where the problem lies. It's either the video card or the monitor which is bad

Try going into Task Scheduler and disabling TMM (Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager).

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and TaskScheduler. Expand the Task Schedular Library, expand Microsoft, expand Windows and navigate to Mobile PC.
    Right click on TMM and select Disable. Restart the PC and reset your Display options.

hi,

could be the gpu, i noticed some geforces and ATI cards would block the systems booting if they were wasted, not displaying anything at all. Try a different AGP GPU and see if it fixes it.

I was once misleaded by lowly skilled technicians and replaced motherboard whereas GPU was the faulty part. I'm not trusting any "tech support" except myself anymore.