Thread: ATI RADEON HD 4870 graphic card freezes

ATI RADEON HD 4870 graphic card freezes

I have a problem quite annoying.

I have the following configuration:
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7200
    2 GB DDR2 Corsair PC 6400
    ATI RADEON HD 4870

So when I play, after an hour, I have a freeze on the graphics card. This means that all of a sudden my screen freezes, I have a continuous (not always the sound). I am therefore obliged to restart my PC each time. And every time I play, it almost made me all the time. Here, if you could help me please ?

Re: ATI RADEON HD 4870 graphic card freezes

I am not an expert but I had a similar problem with an ATI graphics card. Open game, no matter which, moreover, artifacts and then began to appear more image ...

In reality it was a cooling problem, I changed the thermal paste and more problems. There is a utility that controls ATI temperatures and push the graphics card into a corner to raise the temperature that you would determine if the problem comes from there.

So download ATI Tools and "Scan for Artifacts" and look at the evolution of temperature.

I tried to download ATI Tool, but the problem is that I'm on Vista and that the version I have does not work with Vista. So my question is: Can you give me a link or the program that runs under vista?

But it becomes quite urgent, because it now freezes after 5-10 minute which is frankly boring.

In addition, someone said that by changing the bios of the card, it is fixed. Truth or lie ?

Start by opening your PC and see if the ventilation of your graphics card is working properly.

The fans are running properly.

And then, I have a question, will changing the graphics card ventilation could fix my problem ?

Before thinking to replace things, just be assure that your problem is well temperatures.

Get Futuremark, for me it is better software to heat thoroughly my chipset (pci diode) and especially my graphics card (there are more than 10 °C difference between my play sessions and hardcore with the software) you can add OCCT so that all your pc be sought out and probably more than use.

Then if your card too hot you can certainly find good tutorials on the web to set RivaTuner and increase ventilation in a fixed or automatic depending on the temperature of the probe.

See also even if you have a product guarantee

I already have the software OCCT. The problem is that it does not test the temperature of the graphics card. However, I have the basic program of ATI. I just do not see the temperature increase or decrease. It remains to block a 69 °C.

Do you have a software capable of testing the temperature of the graphics card when I play?

futuremark, speedfan, hwmonitor indicates every three temperature sensor or the GPU you can find this value in OCCT to see the mini max during a game play, well it is HWmonitor that is generally recommended.

When you throw in futuremark extreme stability test and log burning temp. gpu and MSAA choice on 8.16 or 32 by disabling the full screen and putting the resolution to the lowest you can see the evolution of temperature on both futuremark, speedfan, hwmonitor and others and compare the results to be identical and see if your probe does not get stuck or if it varies too upwards, 80 °C seems a reasonable limit especially in cold weather ...

Test and therefore we want the result

When I play, my temperature reaches 92 °C maximum.

I tested the card with Crysis, WOW, PES 2009 and ending with Assassin's Creed. With Crysis the temperature rises the most. With WOW map reaches 80-85 °C, knowing it must do 20 °C in the room where I am.

Is it too much? If yes, how to lower the temperature.

Is that changing the bios of the card could be a solution to my problem if it is not cooling?

Are you sure it is the graphics card that is planted?

92 °C is acceptable for this type of card, should worry if it exceeds 110 °C.

To test your graphics card with OCCT, use the beta version: http://www.ocbase.com/download.php?fileext=beta

OCCT test launches to see the change in your tension and if they detect errors (cpu or ram or motherboard) then that will be the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renderman21 View Post
    When I play, my temperature reaches 92 °C maximum.

I tested the card with Crysis, WOW, PES 2009 and ending with Assassin's Creed. With Crysis the temperature rises the most. With WOW map reaches 80-85 °C, knowing it must do 20 °C in the room where I am.

Is it too much? If yes, how to lower the temperature.

Is that changing the bios of the card could be a solution to my problem if it is not cooling?

I have read the previous post and i have the problem.
    I have built a system inside a HFX classic chassis and i have made several tests and i think the problem (not solved wet) is the overheating of the RAM. So you have to set some RAM heatsinks to decrease the heat. you can use GPU-Z the watch the temps.
    If you make some tests you will notice that the GPU core doesn't get to hot and still freezes. I have tested with pasive cooling but the results aren't much better. I haven't a solution yet because i'm waiting for the heatsins for the RAM. When i get it i will post some notes...
    Note: if you have space i advise you to change the cooler check out:
    - http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/main.php?cPath=2
    - http://en.expreview.com/2008/09/09/r...roundup.html/1

good luck

I was also hitting very high temperatures (81 degrees) but after I installed catalyst 9.2 I increased the fan speed manually from 26% to 34% and now my card idles @ 63 & when gaming I increase the fan speed to 50% to avoid overheating