Thread: Overheating Nvidia GPU

question Overheating Nvidia GPU

I just about had my custom laptop figured out In which I was going to get from dell. But then...I remembered that Nvidia was having overheating issues or rather heat cycles issues along with faulty material being used.

The video card I was going to get was an Nvidia 8600m GT which, sadly falls under one of the faulty graphics cards. I read some articles just now, though they all date back. I haven't found any recent articles of this issue and so I thought I"d come here. Does anyone know what the latest scoop is on this issue? Is it safe to go with this video card or should I just stay away from the Geforce 8 series?

I don't do very heavy gaming, lately I been playing world of warcraft. If the Geforce 8 series is still faulty I was thinking of going after the Nvidia Geforce 9600m GT. What do you guys recommend?

I'm looking for a laptop video card that will at least give me a good solid mid range settings if not mid-high, in World of Warcraft. And I'm hoping for a constant 50 fps or so.

Thanks

Re: Overheating Nvidia GPU

Apparently, many NVIDIA graphics cards are subject to manufacturing defects. As such, they could fail after certain periods of use. I have heard that the supposedly affected 8400 and 8600 cards actually belong to computers built by Dell and HP

Re: Overheating Nvidia GPU

Apple and NVIDIA have confirmed that the texture issue occurring on some 8800GT systems running 10.5.5 is due to a driver software bug, and they are working on a fix.