Thread: Project Professional 2007 task duration

Project Professional 2007 task duration

I am here using Microsoft Project 2007. Things are working well here but there is some issue with the default duration. The entire duration here is coming around a day and it is not at all working. I want to configure the same as per my need. But somehow it is not gteting the action task duration. It taking some default settings that comes with the software. I am annoyed with it. Does there is any option that really works and can help me to assign a task duration. Thanks.

I think the duration cannot be changed due to which you are getting the issue. But you can still modify the settings. You will need to go in Tools and then click on Options and then go Schedule tab. There are set of scheduling option that you can modify and make changes as per your need. So there are option available that might really work based on the estimated duration. Or else it will be a waste of time in modifying the settings.

Re: Project Professional 2007 task duration

Hi,

I'm a project manager using the MS Project 2007.
    We are starting to integrate the software across our organization (we previously used 2007).

I have a similar problem involving task duration. We are set to the default of 8 hours per day, 08:00-12:00 and 13:00-17:00, and that is ok. We don't have 1/2-day or part-day tasks. all tasks are full work days.
    So, the problem start when, for example, there is only 1/2 working day on a holiday. All the subsequent tasks are pushed by 1/2 day and always start at mid-day. We want to over-ride that. We want to force ALL tasks to always start at 08:00, and we will just make an exception on those holidays (of 1/2 day) to either extend the task to be 1.5 or 0 days. We never want to encounter a situation where a task starts mid-day, since it causes so many problems down the road, it took us a long time to find that this was the reason (following your great tip of adding the time of day in the view definition).

Is there any way we can solve this?

Thanks for all the help,
    Dana

Did you tried the manual based on configuration of schedule task. I am sure it will help you in finding out the information that you are looking for. The duration can be modified but for that you will need a set of option that works. It is necessary to create a test project first and then modify the same on that. Or else your existing settings will be screwed up. There are ample of tutorial that available on the web. You can read the same and find out information that really works.