Thread: Free Trial Install MS Project - .IMG files

Free Trial Install MS Project - .IMG files

Currently am using MS Project 2003 on my XP system. Yesterday I downloaded a trail edition of Project Pro 2007 whose extension is .img. I read the instructions on download page which states I need to first burn this file to a CD using Easy CD Creator. Well I did that but it was asking me to download IrfanView in order to run this program and file. I dont know why it requires IrfanView. Anyways, I downloaded the same also. Later when I tried burning it gave me an error message saying:

“C:\DOCUME~1\leanne\LOCALS~1\Temp\ProjectProfessional.img : Can't read file header !
    Unknown file format or file not found!”

Later I read somewhere that changing the extension from .img to .iso may work. I did the same using MagicISo and burned it on a CD. But now when I try to run the CD, I get the following:

“D:\PrjPror.WW\OSETUP.DLL digital signature does not validate or is not present.”

Somebody please help me out with this.

RE: Free Trial Install MS Project - .IMG files

Well I too have been through this problem for a long time. I even tried calling up Microsoft but dint got any help. When I tried Microsoft Phone support they just gave me convoluted web help with trails which all lead nowhere. Even those folks are not able to explain why these trial versions are in .IMG format which is creating so many problems.

Hope somebody can explain the same and provide and easiest way of dealing with the same.

Creating an install disc from the Project2007.IMG file

Another of the links with the information that came from Microsoft, related to creating this installation was one for Active@ ISO Burner - a Freeware tool to burn ISO image to CD/DVD.The link in the message took you to an MS File Locker login, where you could order and download this from a Tucows/Microsoft setup ...

You can also get it directly from the maker ... it is the 8th item in the left hand column at this URL … NTFS Products …http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm. I downloaded it through MS/Tucows and it installed easily and worked like a charm ... just insert a blank CD, run the newly installed Active@ ISO Burner program and browse to wherever you saved the .IMG file ... when it is done it will eject the CD ...

Once that is done you can close the CD drawer and it will commence a standard Windows automatic install of MS Project. Now, perhaps someone can help me ... can I not save a project with the trial version? There was another link to an MS site covering the trial version, but when I tried it, the URL was dead ...

I'm completely new to Project and stumbling my way through it ... I did manage to lay out a new project I'm thinking of, entering 14 resources, color-coded the resources on the GANTT chart, with a timeline of 13 months, and was able to print a 9 page report.

However, When I click on File menu, the Save options are shaded ... I don't know if this is simply a function of it being a trial [though I thought it was a time-limited fully-functional version], or if I've not yet done something I need to do in order to be able to save the project. ????

Thanks for any guidance anyone can throw my way ...
    Blessings! Brian

Re: Free Trial Install MS Project - .IMG files

Hello Bob,

See:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa718401.aspx

The instructions under "Manually Installing an Express Edition on a
    local machine" give detailed information about working with *.img files.
    You will need to install 3rd party software to work with the *.img file.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

Julie
    Project MVP

Re: Free Trial Install MS Project - .IMG files

The secret to unlocking the IMG is to use IsoBuster. You can then extract the image to your hard disc and use the program.

Isobuster is also helpful when your DVD-ROM craps out with burned CDs and you can't access them from Explorer. Kind of a brute force approach. Great program. Consider supporting them if you use it. Nothing more disheartening than giving excellent software to the world and getting nothing in return.

Matthew