Thread: MS Project 2010 does not work after opening a mpp-file

MS Project 2010 does not work after opening a mpp-file

I am running 32-bit version with sp1 on a windows 7 pro and everything was working fine but then I don’t know what has went wrong with MS Project2010, I mean that it does not work after I try to open a mpp-file.is there anyone who has faced the same issue and has an idea about it???? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Re: MS Project 2010 does not work after opening a mpp-file

I am running 32-bit version with sp1 on a windows 7 pro and everything was working fine but then I don’t know what has went wrong with MS Project2010, I mean that it does not work after I try to open a mpp-file.is there anyone who has faced the same issue and has an idea about it???? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.
    I just wanted to know that have you updated Project 2010 with the latest hotfixes, if not then try out the same and then let me know what you get, if that does not helped then let me know if the mpp file is created with Project 2010 or some other version, if it is from some other version then you can just go through the below thread and see if you are finding out a working solution for yourself.
    Project 2007 crashes when trying to open files

I think that there might be something wrong with the MS Project 2010 itself, you should better try out repairing an installation of Project by going in to the control panel, you just have to check out for the program in the list and after getting it click on the same and then click "repair" one you are done then reboot the machine and then check out opening a mpp-file again and see if it is getting opening it or not.

Hey thanks for your interest but then by now I have tried out the below things but then they have not helped.
    • I have tried using the same file in other machine as well with MS Project 2010 but then I am getting the same response
    • I have tried applying all the MS Update as well
    • After your suggestion I have tried repairing it as well

Is there anything else that I can try out??? Any further help for the same will be highly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    Can you be more specific about "it does not work after I try to open a mpp file".

I'm guessing this is a specific file - but other files work fine?
    If it is a specific file, my guess is that file is corrupt and you may need to resort to a backup copy of the file.
    If you are able to open it, try FAQ 43 at:

If the link is removed, search for project mvps faq to find the site.

I think that the file that you are trying to open is corrupted, in order to check out the same just try to open some other files and see if you are able to open them without any issues or not, if they do get opened then there is nothing wrong with the MS Project 2010 but then it’s wrong with the file. Just check it out and then post back the result that you get.