Thread: Tracking using % complete

Tracking using % complete

Can a schedule from 15.02.11 to 14.08.12, duration of 547 days tracked as on 15.01.12, have a finish variance of 1389 days?

The above instance is for a schedule of my project. The schedule is tracked based on % complete. I am manually entering the % complete as on the status date. For me to report % complete is the percentage of quantity of that task being completed as on the status date.

Earlier the same schedule tracked a fortnight ago had a finish variance of 153 days as on 31.12.11.

Also on saving as a Baseline and then inputting the values why does the start / finish varies from baseline start / finish dates? (as start / finish=baseline start / finish)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Tracking using % complete

I don't see that variance value in your attached view. Variance is calculated by subtracting Start (or Actual Start) from Baseline Finish. So, if you are seeing that large amount of variance, my guess is your data in one of the fields is incorrect.

% complete is not a quantity measure of work -- it is a duration measurement.

When tracking, you must be doing something other than just updating % complete -- or you would not be seeing variance information. Are you running the Update Project command and rescheduling incomplete work?

Generally speaking a best practice is to have no incomplete work in the past. I also notice the majority of your tasks are milestones -- which is unusual.

After we save a schedule as a Baseline, start = Baseline Start & finish = Baseline finish.
    But for a schedule of mine as discussed above, after saving it as a Baseline and tracking it, I am getting the start = early start & finish = early finish values for the tasks that have not started & start = Actual start & finish = Actual finish for tasks that have started and completed.

I suppose that start = Baseline Start & finish = Baseline finish, should be constant as it is only a snapshot.

I know that % complete is not for quantity and is for duration, but my clients are using it to measure quantity.

Apart from entering % complete and updating the project I am not doing enything else.

How can I be assured that the schedule I am saving as a Baseline is saved as one.

Generally speaking a best practice is to have no incomplete work in the past. I also notice the majority of your tasks are milestones -- which is unusual.

You mean that dates to the right side of status dates require to be moved on or after status date?

I also notice the majority of your tasks are milestones -- which is unusual - Yes they are mostly a task of 1 day duration.
    Last edited by rakk; 19-01-2012 at 10:58 AM.

After we save a schedule as a Baseline, start = Baseline Start & finish = Baseline finish.
    Yes. Saving a baseline simply copies the scheduled start, finish, duration, work, and cost into baseline start, baseline finish, baseline duration, baseline work and baseline cost fields. So immediately after saving a baseline the values should match after that.

But for a schedule of mine as discussed above, after saving it as a Baseline and tracking it, I am getting the start = early start & finish = early finish values for the tasks that have not started & start = Actual start & finish = Actual finish for tasks that have started and completed.
    Saving a baseline has no effect on what you report. Start = early start is likely due to finish to start relationships as well as finish = early finish. Yes, after supplying tracking Start = Actual start. The baseline start does not get updated and the comparison between Baseline Start and Start (or Actual Start) is used the calculate Start Variance. The same applies for Finish Variance.

I suppose that start = Baseline Start & finish = Baseline finish, should be constant as it is only a snapshot.
    No, Start = Baseline start only if the task started as originally scheduled and finish = Baseline finish only if the task finished exactly as scheduled.

I know that % complete is not for quantity and is for duration, but my clients are using it to measure quantity.
    I'm not sure how to respond to that -- quantity and duration are different. As long as you and your client understand that, saying it is something else doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense.

Apart from entering % complete and updating the project I am not doing enything else.
    What specifically are you doing when you "update" the project? If all you were doing was entering % complete, your schedule should not be shifting as shown in the attachment. What are your settings under calculation relative to status date? (See Tools > Options, Calculation in Project 2007 - in Project 2010 File > Options, Advanced). It sounds as though you may be moving remaining parts automatically.

How can I be assured that the schedule I am saving as a Baseline is saved as one.
    If you are saving a baseline and see baseline data (apply the Baseline table) it is saved as a baseline. It does not get changed unless you manually change it.

You mean that dates to the right side of status dates require to be moved on or after status date?

Yes. I would use the "Reschedule uncompleted tasks" command.

I also notice the majority of your tasks are milestones -- which is unusual - Yes they are mostly a task of 1 day duration.
    Milestones have zero day duration - and tracking a zero day duration task with percent complete doesn't make a great deal of sense as the tasks have no duration.

"I would use the "Reschedule uncompleted tasks" command"

After entering the % complete, I am checking into Project - Update Project - Reschedule uncompleted work to start after option.

"What specifically are you doing when you "update" the project? If all you were doing was entering % complete, your schedule should not be shifting as shown in the attachment. What are your settings under calculation relative to status date? (See Tools > Options, Calculation in Project 2007 - in Project 2010 File > Options, Advanced). It sounds as though you may be moving remaining parts automatically."

I checked out the File - Options, Advanced tab in 2010 and found out that none of the boxes I have checked in Calculation Option for this Project. Can you guide me as to which can to be checked based on my method to track?
    Last edited by rakk; 20-01-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Incase you are using the "Reschedule uncompleted work to start after command" there is no need for you to select any of the options regarding moving remaining parts. You are doing that with the reschedule command.