Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resources on Microsoft Project( I need Help Asap)

Resources on Microsoft Project( I need Help Asap)

Regarding Resource Loading on Microsoft project, if i have to Load a resources on Microsoft project, it doesn't provide me a space where i am going to add the Budgeted Unit on like Primavera ( which you can specify the number of resources that can work in an activity)..Can anyone help me with this, i need this very urgent)

Re: Resources on Microsoft Project( I need Help Asap)

Split your screen to show the Task Form in the bottom. In Project 2007 or earlier choose Window > Split. In Project 2010, View Ribbon, deselect Timescale and check Detail.

The Task Form allows easy access to assignment units as well as settings for Effort Driven and Task Type.

Thanks so much for your response..I easily get where to split my screen, What does that term 100% Unit means?...Does it mean that the Resources have to work for the whole hours specified in my calender? What if i put 30% or more?..What is going to happen to my schedule?...if i have to use the same resources for another activity?..Is there anyway it is going to affect my schedule?...Or do i need the create the different resources for different activities?...How i can i Schedule my activities to work for hours not day?.For Example, if i want an activity to start by 3pm and end by 5pm?...can i do that and i want it to show on the start and finish date?..i Hope you can help me on this.

I'll try to take your multiple questions in turn:

What does that term 100% Unit means?...Does it mean that the Resources have to work for the whole hours specified in my calender?

Assignment units help differentiate between duration (how long does the task take) and work (how much effort is expended during the duration). 100% assignment units means for every minute of duration, the resource generates 1 minute of effort.

What if i put 30% or more?..What is going to happen to my schedule?

If you assign the resource initially at 30%, Project will simply calculate the work based upon Duration * assignment units. If you assign the resource at 100% and then change the assignment units to 30%, in two out of three circumstances, Project will keep the originally calculated work at 100% stable and increase the duration. The resource is still working the same number of hours in total, but the lower assignment units forces the task to take longer.

if i have to use the same resources for another activity?..Is there anyway it is going to affect my schedule?...

If you need the same resource to work multiple tasks which occur at the same time, you need to assign the resource to those tasks so the total units assigned (Peak) is less than or equal to the resource's max units. If you assign the resource where Peak is greater than max -- you have overallocated the resource. Overallocated resources do not automatically change your schedule unless you Level the resources.

or do i need the create the different resources for different activities?...

You create the number of resource you have assigned to your project. If you have 3 resources, you create 3. For many projects, resources are one of the limiting factors.

How i can i Schedule my activities to work for hours not day?.For Example, if i want an activity to start by 3pm and end by 5pm?...can i do that and i want it to show on the start and finish date?.

Change the format of your date to show time. File > Options, General and select a date format which shows time. You can enter durations in minutes (m), hours (h), days (d), weeks (w), or months (mo).

Thanks so much for your response, I tried to enter the duration per hour, but it doesn't show on the state and finish ( the time i want it to start, may be 3pm to 5pm with date)...Another thing i want to ask is that is there anyway i can make my Gant Chant not to show the Resources name? I Hope i am not bothering you.

You need to change the date format to show date and time. I don't know what version of Project you are using but I noted the directions for Project 2010:
    Change the format of your date to show time. File > Options, General and select a date format which shows time. You can enter durations in minutes (m), hours (h), days (d), weeks (w), or months (mo).

If you are using Project 2007 or earlier, you'll find the command in Tools > Options, view tab.

To your question about Resource names - right click on the background of the Gantt Chart to show the shortcut menu. Choose Bar Styles. Select the "Task" bar and on the "Text" tab, delete Resource Name in the "After" section.

Julie

Thanks so much for your quick response...I am using Microsoft project 2007, For the resources name not to show on the Gant Chart, i cant get it, may be you are explaining using Microsoft 2010. I really do appreciate your response.

The command is the same in Project 2007. If the shortcut menu isn't working choose Format > Bar Styles. Select the "Task" line and click on the Text tab.

If you have applied formatting to the Gantt chart view - showing Critical and NonCritical -- you'll need to repeat with both of those bars.

Julie

Thanks so much, I really do appreciate it.

Hi Julie,

I am back again and i got few things to ask ...I Hope you'll be able to help me out as soon as possible..I created a project, but when i choose the finish date, it's automatically give itself start date and vice versa..I want a situation where i will be able to choose from one particular date to another one..Another thing that i am kind of confusing is that if i have to schedule, should i choose schedule from project finish date or project start date. Can you explain this aspect me for, i Hope to get your response as soon as possible.

Thanks!!

Sorry, but Project doesn't work the way you want it to.
    You may specify either a start date or a finish date -- but not both.

Project's job is to calculate the finish date if you enter the project start date and enter your tasks, task relationships, and resources. You may enter a finish date and Project will calculate the start date.

I hope this helps.

Dear Julie, After i make a Plan and Update using % Complete, Then i was asked to draw S Curve, Which provide the Cumulative Percent Planned and Cumulative Actual, my questions are;

1, If i have to load a resources and i use 200% as Budjected unit for a Particular activities, I.e Activity A has Plumber as a resouces with 200% Unit as budjected in a calender of 8hours per day, Does it that two plumbers will work on the acitivity in 8hours in a day?

2. I have to draw an S-curve to Represent both the Cumulative Plan and Cumulative Actual for the progress, What are the basis? and How do i get it done professional?

3. After Starting my Plan, it shows the Critical on Gant Chart already, though the total Slack are Zero but still shows red, and i cant expand the finish date as i dont want the state date to move, i schedule using Start date.

I hope this questions are not to much for your to help me out as soon as possible.

Note: I use Microsoft 2007.

1, If i have to load a resources and i use 200% as Budjected unit for a Particular activities, I.e Activity A has Plumber as a resouces with 200% Unit as budjected in a calender of 8hours per day, Does it that two plumbers will work on the acitivity in 8hours in a day?
    No. Assigning 200% of a resource means you have two plumbers who will each work 8 hours for a total of 16 hours per day. Check the Task Usage view to see the total work per day.

2. I have to draw an S-curve to Represent both the Cumulative Plan and Cumulative Actual for the progress, What are the basis? and How do i get it done professional?
    I'm afraid you're out of luck here. Project does have a Cumulative Work timephased field but no Cumulative Baseline Work (Cumulative Plan in your description). You'll need to export the data to Excel and do the calculations there. I'd add Baseline Work, Actual Work to Task Usage view and carefully copy/paste into Excel.

3. After Starting my Plan, it shows the Critical on Gant Chart already, though the total Slack are Zero but still shows red, and i cant expand the finish date as i dont want the state date to move, i schedule using Start date.
    I don't think I understand. Tasks are critical if Slack is less than or equal to zero and the default format for Critical tasks is red. This does not mean the tasks are behind schedule -- they are critical. Negative Total Slack means you are going to miss a deadline or constraint.

Thanks so much for your assistance, This is really help me a lot...Relating to the S-curve, i do not know if there is anyway you can help me because i do not even know how to get this done on excel...if there is anyway you could help me, i will appreciate it..and if there any links to show me some example too as well...Thanks so much for your concern, I will wait to hear from you as soon as possible.

The easiest way to get the information out is copy/paste. Show the Task Usage view:
    1. Copy/paste the left side showing tasks and assignments.
    2. Add Actual Work and Baseline work to the right side. (Format > Details).
    3. Copy/paste the right side to match up with the left.

You know have tasks/assignments on the left, date and data on the right. You'll need to calculate cumulative actual work and cumulative baseline work with formulas.

Then chart in Excel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast