Thread: MS project 2010 Import Issue

MS project 2010 Import Issue

I have a CSV file which contains employee information and I have created a map to import it into my resource pool. It works fine the first time I import but once changes have been made to the CSV file and I import it a second time it doesnt work and tells me that the resource pool is "Read only". Is this normal or has anyone had this issue?

Re: MS project 2010 Import Issue

Do you getting any error message files while importing the CSV file? If so then tell me about the same. Also provide the print screen of the same over here.
    Just for try I recommend that you should restart the project and after that try to import the CSV file again and see what is happening.

I'm asking the import map to 'merge' the csv file into a resource pool that already has resources in it and guessed that this might cause a problem. So I firstly deleted every existing resource in the pool and then imported my CSV file using the map. Heypresto! the import went fine. Now ive created a macro to open the resource pool, delete all existing resources in the pool and then import my CSV file. It works for me and thanks for your interest.

Hi ShoppingBoy,
    What were you using as the merge key? I am guessing that when you open the resource pool file, you are selecting the option "open the pool file read/write....."?

My import map uses the 'Code' field as the merge key. The actions I take is to open the resource pool as read/write then import my csv file to a blank resource pool and save. All works fine. If I then make some changes to my csv file and import that to the populated resource pool it doesnt update and if I try to save it again a message tells me that the resource pool is a read only file and to save it with a different name. However if I make changes to the csv file and delete all the resources in my pool before importing the csv, the pool is updated,remains as read/write and I can save it as its original name. My macro does exactly this and works fine. Not sure what is happening but this method works.

As long as you're making it work, great!