Thread: Updating Task with MSP 2007

Updating Task with MSP 2007

For the last few years I have been working with Primavera. I'm am starting to work with MS Project again and I can't seem to remember how to update the project without splitting tasks that are in progress.

For example: Using the Project Update under tools yields the following: Tasks to the left of the current date are 100% complete - No problem. Tasks to the right of the current date have not started and are 0% complete - No problem. Tasks that should've started and have not, get moved to the current date. - No problem. Tasks that started prior to the current date have started on time and are on schedule to finish on the originally planned date. They are X% complete. - The task splits and pushes the end date past it's due date. - PROBLEM. I realize that I can adjust the remaining duration, but how can I keep the task from splitting?

Re: Updating Task with MSP 2007

I think that you can copy a cell in MSP and then paste the content as a link into another cell (through paste special, paste link). Just copying a date into the destination cell won't work because that will normally just impose a constraint and not change the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by TXConstructionGuy View Post
    For the last few years I have been working with Primavera. I'm am starting to work with MS Project again and I can't seem to remember how to update the project without splitting tasks that are in progress.

For example: Using the Project Update under tools yields the following: Tasks to the left of the current date are 100% complete - No problem. Tasks to the right of the current date have not started and are 0% complete - No problem. Tasks that should've started and have not, get moved to the current date. - No problem. Tasks that started prior to the current date have started on time and are on schedule to finish on the originally planned date. They are X% complete. - The task splits and pushes the end date past it's due date. - PROBLEM. I realize that I can adjust the remaining duration, but how can I keep the task from splitting?
    Try Tools > Options, Schedule tab and uncheck "Split in-progress tasks".

I hope this helps.
    Julie

Thanks so much for your help, JulieS. That is exactly what I was looking for.

You're most welcome and thanks for the feedback.
    Julie